Psychology
Course
Psychology 1000
Professor
Dr.Mike
Semester
Fall

Description
Psychology Lecture 13 Psychophysics, Subliminal Perception, Visual System 1. What do Weber fractions tell you about sensation? 2. Can we perceive subliminal messages? 3. How does the visual system work? Sensation  How do we perceive he world around us?  Psychophysics and psychophysiology o Psychophysics  Relationship between physical stimulus and psychological response  Fechner – Father of psychophysics  Can determine a just noticeable difference (JND)  Change something and measure how they notice a difference  Threshold  Value of a stimulus characteristic required to produce some response  Absolute: Lower limit o Absolute Thresholds  Vision  Candle flame at 50km  Hearing  Tick of a watch at 6m  Taste  Tsp. of sugar in 8L of water  Smell  1 drop of perfume in a 6 room apartment  Touch  Wing of a fly falling on your cheek at a distance of 1 cm  Difference Threshold o Amount of change necessary for a JND o Ex. Brightness and perceived brightness  Not a 1 to 1 relationship  Doubling light in a room doesn’t make it twice as bright for a person perceiving it o Weber’s Law  Size of difference threshold relative to physical intensity of test is constant ( Change in Intensity (I) / I = Constant  Ex. If I is 50 db, and a JND is reported at 55 db  Would be 5/50 therefore 1/10 o Can predict other JND at other intensities  What is JND at 100 db?  1/10 = Change in I / 100  So Change in I is 10  Therefore JND wil
More Less

Related notes for Psychology 1000

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit