Canada (492,587)
Psychology (6,022)
Psychology 1000 (2,405)
Prof (56)

3 Pages
Unlock Document

Western University
Psychology 1000

Sensation Psychophysics Subliminal Perception Visual System What do Weber fractions tell you about sensation? Can we perceive subliminal messages? How does the visual system work? Sensation How do we perceive the world around us? Psychophysics and psychophysiology Psychophysics relation between physical stimulus and psychological response Fechner: “Father of Psychophysics” Can determine a just noticeable difference JND Threshold Value of a stimulus characteristics require to produce some response Absolute: Lower limit Difference: Amount of change for JND Absolute Thresholds Vision: Candle flame at 50km Hearing: Tick of a watch at 6m. Taste: Tsp. of sugar in 8L of water Smell: 1 drop of perfume in a 6 room apt. Touch: Wing of a fly falling on cheek from 1cm Difference Thresholds So what’s the relation E.g. Brightness and perceived brightness Not a 1 to 1 relation Weber’s Law Size of difference threshold relative to physical intesity of test is constant Must know how to calculate on Exam ∆I / I = C If I = 50db and a JND is reported at 55 db 1 / 10 = 5 / 50 = C Note: 1. Can predict other JND’s E.g. Whats a JND @ 100 db ∆I = 10 A JND would occur @ new test + 10 = 110 db OR new test - 10 = 90 db Value of JND not constant The relative difference is... 1. Can compare sensitivity of different systems Vision (Brightness) = 1/60 Kinesthesis (Weights) = 1/50 Pain (Thermal) = 1/30 Audition (Mid. Pitch; Mod. Lou
More Less

Related notes for Psychology 1000

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.