How do genes “work”?
What is the outcome with recessive genes?
How is more complex behavior coded?
Nature (something we are born with) vs Nurture (Something we learn)
Combination of both
• For any given type of behavior
• Strand like molecules dna
• Linked on chromosomes
• Karyotype: genetic behavior
• 23 pairs
• 22 autosomes + sex chromosomes women (XX) men (Xy)
Genes (DNA) ▯RNA ▯Protein molecules (sequence of amino acids)
The influence of genes is through protein synthesis… there are no genes “for” a particular
Gene “for” intelligence
• Reaction time
So why not just answer Nature?
Environment can influence protein synthesis as well
Genes determine range of possibilities, but not degree of expression
• Environmental exposure at specific interval is critical
• Eg. White crowned sparrow must hear adult song between 7 and 60 dayh
Important to distinguish
• Genotype: s