Second last psychology lecture
• Drug therapy
• Humanistic therapy
• How do antipsychotic drugs work?
• What are the essential elements of psychoanalysis?
• How does the humanistic approach differ from psychoanalysis
• Lithium carbonate (Eskalith)
• Prescribed for bipolar disorder
• Eliminates manic phase and depression does not return
Few side effects:
- But dosage is critical
- Too little – nothing happens
- Too much – toxic for your body nd
Seems effective BUT patients often report that they miss the initial “high” aka the mania, 2
therapy required if this is the case.
- Thorazine is the #1 prescribed to patients with schizophrenia.
- It reduces symptoms of schizophrenia and blocks dopamine receptors.
Two major pathways:
- Brain stem (Parkinson’s disorder)
- Cerebral cortex and frontal limbic – what we want to target.
Unfortunately, does not discriminate…patients develops a temporary movement disorder.
With Prolonged use:
- Tardive dyskinesia
- Facial grimacing, involuntary tongue, mouth movements and troubles breathing.
- Symptoms are temporarily relieved by increasing dosage.
- Little, if any, movement side effects (but possible blood disorder)
- Blocks dopamine and serotonin receptors
- More effective on the positive symptoms.
- Double-blind studies yield profound to moderate results
- Most effective when used with some “talk” therapy.
Psychotherapy – the use of talking therapy.
- Many different types, differ primarily in theory of psychopathology.
- Different theories imply different treatments.
Psychodynamic approach (classical psychoanalysis)
- Based on Freudian concepts
- Goal is to uncover hidden conflicts and unconscious impulses (insight therapy)
- Patients lies on a couch, therapist out of view
- Free association
- Dream analysis - Gets patients ego out of the way.
- Providing a context or meaning to patients thoughts
- Want the patient to provide him or herself, but the therapist must guide and help the
patients to understand.
- Patient avoids topic
- Becomes angry at interpretation
- Misses appointments
- Fails to pay
- Difficult stage has been