• Behavior therapy
• Memory quiz
• Info processing model
• How do we remember memories?
• Why do we forget them?
Next time: memory 2 scan pages 279-288
• Psychotherapy based on principles of classical or operant conditioning
• Problem is viewed as an error or failure in learning
• Cure is to relearn
Treatment of Fear
• Intense, irrational fear of object or situation
• Relatively common
• Anxiety disorder
• Over 200 recognized phobias
• Some phobias are “easier” to deal with – fear of animals don’t go to the zoo
• BUT we can generalize these
o Flooding: patient is continuously presented with fearful object, until it is no longer
Limited value: patient must be willing to expose themselves to the fearful
Not always possible
o Implosion: patient must continuously imagine fearful situation (think about being
o Counter conditioning: replace CR of fear with a more pleasant response.
Identify a positive UCS – UCR
Pair the feared object with low intensity level with the positive UCS – UC