Psych lecture 12 October 24, 2013
• The retina
• Single cell recording
• Lateral inhibition
• How do rods and cones work?
• How does the visual system enhance images?
• How can we explain phantom spots?
Next Time: perception read pages 152-158; 170-176
Amacrine and Horizontals are inhibitory.
Rods and Cones
• Duplex theory
• 120 million rods
• 7 million cones
o Rods operate at low intensity (found in peripheral vision)
o Sensitive for brightness
o None in the Fovea
o Monochrome (doesn’t see colour)
• Cones operate at higher intensities
• Insensitive for brightness
• Concentrated in Fovea
• Full colour vision
How do rods and cones work?
• Visual pigments
• Rods: rho