Psychology (6,021)
Psychology 1000 (2,405)

Sensation, Perceiving and Consciousness

2 Pages
Unlock Document

Western University
Psychology 1000
Nick Skinner

David Molnar October 18, 2011 Psychology 1000 - Sensation, Perceiving, and Consciousness 1. Intro 2. The Senses 3. Psychophysics 4. Perceptual Stability Extrasensory Perception: set of phenomena called “PSI”, divided into ESP and psychokinesis. ESP divided into telepathy, clairvoyance and precognition. Psychokinesis is the ability to make things happen in the environment. (P. 232-) - The fact that different species have different reactions to stimulation. and the fact that different organisms within species have different reactions to stimulation, make it difficult for us to make general statements about sensory efficiency or capacity and sensory acuity. - We are woefully poor at describing our sensations. - “Its sort of like a toothache in my stomach” - The sub science of psychophysics is what we use to deal with these problems. (P. 196-) - Psychophysics: the sensory consequences of controlled physical stimulation. “We hope to be able to compare and make statements about humans senses.” - Threshold: the minimum detectable stimulus intensity. - Absolute Threshold: stimulus intensity detectable on 50% of its presentations. Not a constant value but changes from person to person and situation to situation. - Difference Threshold: What is the smallest difference between stimuli that we can detect. The minimum detectable change in stimulus intensity. The “just noticeable difference JND” Standard Stimulus Rest Stimulus Weber’s Law (1843): [delta]I/I = K (Weber’s Constant) For every stimulus, there is some constant percentage of stimulus intensity that must b
More Less

Related notes for Psychology 1000

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.