September 20, 2012
Psychology Lecture 4
- More Research Design
- The Neuron
- Action Potential
Next Time: The Synapse *(know very well)*
Scan: p. 73 - 78
- What are some sources of bias in an experiment?
- What is the basic structure of a neuron?
- How do neurons "work"?
How to Measure Aggression
- Verbal attack
- Physical attack
- "Safe" attack
Threats to Validity
- Internal Validity
- degree to which experiment supports causal conclusion (want high internal
- degree to which results can be generalized
- Demand Characteristics
-cues in experiment which help convey what your hypothesis is to participants
- they "help" the experimenter achieve they're hypothesis
- Geen & Berkowitz (1967)
- Experimenter Expectancy
-Experimenter "conveys" hypothesis to participants
- Intons-Peterson (1983) September 20, 2012
Frequently Asked Questions
- David Myers
- What lab experiments tell us about everyday life?
- Doesn't behaviour depend on one's culture or gender or personality?
- What do animal experiment's tell us about human behaviour?
- Is it ethical to experiment on animals?
- Is it ethical to experiment on humans?
But how do i determine whether my study worked?
- Look at the data (look at the numbers, statistics)
The Nervous System
1) Descartes --> Reflex Arc
- stimuli transferred from periphery to brain and reflected back.
How? --> "Animal Spirits"