03 21 Lecture Notes - Universities at the Nexus of Religious Nationalism.docx
Universities at the Nexus of Religious Nationalism
Students and the Diaspora
- Diaspora: as a consequence of global migration and an increase in population in most Western
countries, we’ve seen an increase of communities that still live in the terms of their country of
origin in terms of language, religion, etc.
- Global political religious or ethnic conflicts
- Identified enemy
o Right to freedom of religion and speech
- How should society adapt?
o Inclusivity or restriction?
Individual rights Immigrant countries
(freedom of religion & speech)
Religion and Free Speech and Concordia University in Montreal
- During times of anti-Semitism, many universities wouldn’t allowed Jewish students to apply –
there were quotas put in place so there could only be so many Jewish students admitted.
- After 9/11 Concordia has become known for protests