Tuesday, February 4, 2014
Advertising & the End of the World
(Sut Jhally, Department of Communications at University of Massachusetts)
First 30 minutes on exam
Advertising & Culture
- Advertising is a ‘Magic System’where material things have immense powers of
An economist would see the DIFFERENCES between the consumer culture and what came
- In the 1980s the average person was exposed to 1500 commercial impressions a day, 3600
- $175 Billion spent on advertising in US in 1996
- 100% Broadcast profit from advertising, 50% of magazines from advertising other 50% from
- Commercialization of the sky proposed
- “Diamonds are Forever” campaign which came from MadisonAvenue DeBeers which has
global monopoly on diamonds
- To not be influence by advertising would be to live OUTSIDE the bubble, no one lives outside
Two results ofAds:
- Advertising is everywhere
- Huge amounts of money and creativity are spent on these ads
Wrong Questions: Does an ad campaign make people purchase the item advertised?
Right Question: What impact does advertising have on the culture?
What are the CONSISTENT stores told by advertisers about what is important in the world
What VALUES do ads stress?
How do we Identify the consistent stories of advertising?
‘How do we become happy?
- Every society has a story about happiness
- Ad system has specific answer: consumption
- Consumptions central to economies function
- Not just happiness by political freedom
- Wendy’s Soviet Union Choice
Does Happiness come from MATERIALThings?
Do we get happier as we