Sociology 2259 Lecture Notes - Lecture 9: George Herbert Mead, Labeling Theory, Symbolic Interactionism

73 views5 pages

Document Summary

Deviance control -- deviance causes agents of social control to react. Control deviance people get categorized by agents of social control. Social reaction to an individual will produce deviance . Ex. yeah look at that fucking hipster he must love fleet their label foxes. Everything is based on social meaning: provides everyone with basis for how to treat others. Deviance from this perspective is a social construction. Charles horton cooley: the looking glass self: we imagine how we appear to otherss. God damn i"m ugly: we look at how others judge our appearance. Yeah everyone can see how much i lift or. Look at how people get sick looking at me: we develop feelings of shame or pride based on these. George herbert mead : our social self is developed through the interaction. This is based on the notion that we are able to see ourselves as both subject between the i and the me and object.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers