THEORIES: LECTURE 10 11, 2013
- Brown in 1898 in Berlin
- Served in WW1 with the German army
- Marcuse became a member of the Social Democratic Party while he still was a
- Marcuse founded the Institute for Social Research in 1923 (Frankfurt Institut fur
Sozialforschung) “Frankfurt School”
- Included a number of talented theorists such as T.W. Adorno, Erich Fromm,
Walter Benjamin, and Jurgen Habermas
- Neo-Marxist: Theory based on Marxism and Hegelian philosophy
o Revised Marx‟s theory and made it relatable to what was going on
- Questioned: why class consciousness didn‟t develop as predicted by Marx?
- Utilized also the insights of psychoanalysis sociology existential philosophy and
- Approach of the Frankfurt School
- Critical of what?
o Critical of European society
o Class exploitation