Sociology
Course
Sociology 1020
Professor
Kim Luton
Semester
Spring

Description
Sociology 1020 Deviance Note Deviance: the recognized violation of cultural norms. Sociology looks at the structural causes of deviance. Problem with this Definition • Objective view: presence of certain characteristics defines deviance • Subjective view: no shared, observable characteristics defines what or who is deviant. A behaviour or an act becomes deviant when it is socially defined as one. Deviance Defined: It’s Difficult Objectivists (or “Moral Absolutists”) • Statistical Rarity: though criteria – what counts as a “rare” percentage? • Societal Harm: physical or emotional harm to individuals or harm to the social order. For example, smoking causes harm to the individual, but spray-painting causes harm to the society. • Societal Reaction • Normative Violation Subjectivists (or “Moral Relativist”) • Social typing process: o Description: placing a label on someone who looks deviant o Evaluation: taking the label and placing a judgment on it. Making a good or a bad evaluation. o Prescription: social control. ▪ Preventative Social Control: prevents people from being deviant. • Formal: people who can actually do something – e.g. police psychiatrists, profs – people who will give warnings. • Informal: parents, peers, and coworkers. ▪ Retroactive: Comes after the deviance has already been done. • Formal: a cop arresting someone, or psychiatrists admitting someone to a mental institution, or a prof failing a student. • Informal: parents grounding their children, coworkers shunning, etc. Social Control Attempts by society to regulate people’s thoughts and behaviours. • Informal • Formal Social Control Theory Hirschi: all people are potential deviants. It asks, “why don’t people deviate?” • Deviance is deterred by… o Attachment o Involvement o Commitment o Beliefs Functionalism Stability and consensus are key. Anomie leads to deviance. • Deviance = eufunction – accommodate (“acceptable deviance”) 2 DEVIANCE • Deviance = dysfunction – ‘fix’ Functions of Devainace? • Unite people • Moral holiday • Provide scapegoats • Sets moral boundaries • Mark bottom layer of society • Warning sign • Social change • Jobs Anomie: a feeling of normless or an absence of social regulation of behaviour, • Merton adds non-achievement causes anomie. • Differential opportunity – seeking through illegitimate means. Symbolic Interactionism • Sutherland’s Differential Association: Whom you hang out with – people learn and define deviance in groups. If it’s rewarded, it’ll be repeated. o Based on frequency, priority, duration and intensity of face to face relations with significant others. • We learn to be deviant the same way we learn to conform. Sykes and Matza Delinquents feel guilty, but will rationalize their behaviour using five techniques: 1. Condemn Condemners – e.g. “Everyone steals. Why pick on me? If I don’t do it to him, he’ll do it to me!” 2. Blame Victim – e.g. “He has it coming! She talked back! He has a bad attitude!” 3. Deny Responsibility – e.g. “They made me do it! I don’t have a choice! It’s either me or him!” 4. Deny Injury – e.g. “They have insurance! They have too much money! What’s one CD to a big store?” 5. Appeal to higher loyalties – e.g. “He is a stranger! Only cowards run away! I have to protect my buddies!” Labeling Theory The process by which the label ‘deviant’ becomes attached to some individuals and some forms of behaviour. • Not the behaviour, but the audiences reaction that determines whether an act is deviant or not. Primary Deviance – Lemert • Non-conformist acts which occur before a formal or legal response to the behaviour occurs. Secondary Deviance – Lemert Sociology 1020 Deviance Note • Behaviour that occurs after primary deviance and results from the transformation of an individual’s self-concept from someone who simply did something “bad,” to someone who sees themselves as “bad.” • Deviance amplification: the belief that reacting to deviance may increase deviance and could lead to more serious forms of deviance – when someone is
More Less

Related notes for Sociology 1020

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit