-The objective element of a social problem refers to the existence of a social condition.
- A Social Problem is a social condition that a segment of society views as harmful to
members of society and in of remedy.
- Manifest refers to social problems that are recognizable. Latent social problems are ones that
are less noticeable.
- A subjective element of a social problem refers to beliefs that particular social conditions are
harmful to society or too a segment of society, and should be something that we should change.
- According to Durkheim’s research on social problems suicide rates were social facts that are
phenomena created by a social organization rather than individual acts of desperation.
-Structural theorist have since argued that a society needs to have cohesion in its different
parts, with complementary functions and values.
- Institution: An institution is an established and enduring organization of social relationships.
The 5 main institutions are Family, Education, Economics, Politics and Religion.
- Many social problems are a result of inadequacies in institutions or conflicts between
institutions. Ex: Unemployment may be influenced by the educational institution’s inability to
keep up with changing demands and instability in the structure of the economic institution
- Social groups: Two or more people who have a common identity, interact, and form a