CS101 Tuesday, September 17, 2013
3-4 TV shows: dexter, suits, family guy, breaking bad
3-4 MusicalActs: drake, dww, the black keys
which are canadian IMDB.com?
- a couple.
what values do they encourage you to support?
- good things.
what values do they encourage you do rebel against?
- bad things.
Canadian Structures/ Institutions
They mediate our lives, and all have goals. (Institutions)
Mediation: When something becomes between you and something/someone else.
Who are our public broadcasters?
Provide elements of public sphere in CDN. Provide the CDN content that we are meant to watch.
How are these interests formed?
- CBC 5% market share.
BBC - Model for public broadcasting. (CDN follows this)
- 1930s: Inform, educate, entertain.
- developing an idea of CDN, Cultural sovereignty.
- Canadian and local ideals.
- Main concern:Americanizing of the broadcasts.
Cultural Policy is what we work within/through.
- High/Low culture divide is hard to maintain with low populated areas.
- 1960s: Pop culture became more intense
Canadian Values: TV
- make it more free.
Promote markets above all else