October 22, 2013 CS101 Lecture
Powers of Ten (1977) Video - YouTube
- About digitization on many levels
- largest possible data set - everything.
- miniature or galactic, we occupy the human size.
- Helps us understand the size of data (on hard-drives)
When Something is Digital
- Fingers are digits, they are digital.
- Compared with analog
- Analog is about waves (sound, light)
FM &AM Signals
Waves transmit FM andAM
- Frequency Modulation
- Amplitude Modulation
- Manipulation is changing the amount of waves (frequency), amplitude varied is from top to
- Some people believe that analog sounds better.
Distance depends on how far it will travel,AM will travel further than FM waves.
Emails (technology/networks) are not the quickest ways to transmit data.
- Radio defines geographic space. TV and radio waves.
Digitization makes globalization hyperbolic
- Accelerates at such a rate that it is beyond peoples comprehension on how it actually works.
- Cheaper for hospitals to send out x-rays overseas and get sent back.
- Treaty organizations & your data.
AComputer Glossary - YouTube Clip
- Can compute and determine different incoming projectiles.
- Canada: RIM (Blackberry), have resources for computing industry but have not acted on it.
- Not a huge institution in computing market place.
- Process of writing by hand for your mind is different than when you type.
- Overloading Corpus, you slow down. (using both hands and both eyes to do one task, ex.
- Canada: Global economic elite.
- WTO/NAFTA/NATO/UN. provide stability in our world for relationships we have.
- Bound by the treaty, laws must match them. October 22, 2013 CS101 Lecture
Media: 3 Forms
1. Encounter: When you think about the text.
2. Governance: Means by which we govern other people.
- Someone else is producing systems that affect our behaviour. External affects.
3. Brands in a Globalized Marketplace: Will go for brands that we recognize, and will buy its
governance and its message. We are buying into the whole set.
- All tied to production chains. Natural resources/recovered and to the final product.
- Geographically placed, always has environment/economic effects.
- Apple markets as environmentally friendly and recycled products.
- Doesn’t make them an exception
- Hard to nationalize and make in a unique place.
- Isn’t the place where you’re paying
- All related back to digitization/globalizat