Ex.Print, Movies, Music, TV
Mass Communication: How we use media to mold and direct the public.
- 60s/80s: When people started to get TVs in their homes.
- 1983: 50 Major corps - produced entertainment around the world.
- Now: 5-10
- Make up 83% (3 Corps) of the media in canada.
- Media outlets (many)
- Alternative Media: When we produce them ourselves.
- Ex. College newspapers
- getting you to act a certain way
- do we need democratic media to have a democracy? (More voices in the media)
- Is it more likely that we’ll have cohesive political parties?
- Studies say Yes.
- 2007: Top Companies (Nat’l): Disney, Germany (Bertelsmann &AG), Time Warner,
- 3 Biggest Canadian Broadcasters: CTVglobemedia, CanWest, Quebecor
- Others Rogers, Shaw.
- They all own a number of Newspaper, CableTV, Radio stations.
- Vertical: buy everything in their supply chain, all the w