Winter 2018

Department
Communication Studies
Course Code
CS100
Professor
Jade Miller
Lecture

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Week 6 (February 12th, 2018) -- Prediction
Invention
o Completely new technology
o Very rare
Innovation
o New ways to make a previous technology useful
Diffusion of technologies
o Projection
o New uses
o The work of designers, marketers, or innovative users adapting this technology
into their lives
Electric light
o Development is an invention
o Any technology following that is an innovation (ex. scrolling LED lights)
The phonograph to be used as:
o Speaking dolls or toys
o Clocks could call out the hour
o Advertisements on the streets
o Delivering lectures
o as a usial istruet
Figuring out ways to predict the future
Suffering lack of interest sparks the need for a new invention/innovation
Certain inventions are seen as useless to our lifestyles
Social is hard to predict
Nye says e dot really uderstad ourseles
o Technology needed to predict the social is much more complicated
Old technologies (200 years ago) have a hard time finding a market
Eventual uses:
o Investors corporations
o Public reaction
Nye says the photograph was a combination of public interest and people who wanted
to make use of it
o Large corporations
Nye wants us to remember:
o The best design does not always win; in fact, it loses more often
o Quality/usefuless ad hether soethig spreads idely is ot highly
correlated
Hushaphone
o Never become widely used/popular
o Something we would all appreciate
o Mouthpiece put over phone and it covered your mouth (nobody could hear
your conversations)
o Rule that no one could create a third-party technology based on the telephone
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Week 6 (February 12 , 2018) -- Prediction Invention o Completely new technology o Very rare Innovation o New ways to make a previous technology useful Diffusion of technologies o Projection o New uses o The work of designers, marketers, or innovative users adapting this technology into their lives Electric light o Development is an invention o Any technology following that is an innovation (ex. scrolling LED lights) The phonograph to be used as: o Speaking dolls or toys o Clocks could call out the hour o Advertisements on the streets o Delivering lectures o as a musical instrument Figuring out ways to predict the future Suffering lack of interest sparks the need for a new invention/innovation Certain inventions are seen as useless to our lifestyles Social is hard to predict Nye says we dont really understand ourselves o Technology needed to predict the social is much more complicated Old technologies (200 years ago) have a hard time finding a market Eventual uses: o Investors corporations o Public reaction Nye says the photograph was a combination of public interest and people who wanted to make use of it o Large corporations Nye wants us to remember: o The best design does not always win; in fact, it loses more often o Quality/usefulness and whether something spreads widely is not highly correlated Hushaphone o Never become widely used/popular o Something we would all appreciate o Mouthpiece put over phone and it covered your mouth (nobody could hear your conversations) o Rule that no one could create a third-party technology based on the telephone That is why it was never invented o Sued by Bell? Prediction o People whose entire jobs are seeing technological trends and seeing what is going to happen Both readings state how difficult prediction is 1/3% of scholars predictions come true The Ladies Home Journal o December 1900 o Contained fascinating article by John Elfreth Watkins It is the cultural and social that allows technology to help people Barlow thinks that internet makes face-to-face contact more important Barlow and Utopian visions people with these visions usually have blogs, predictions o Tech development seen as Natural natural progression o Ameliorative improves everyday life o Transformative new machines reshape social reality o Less likely to be in sci-fi movies Dystopian visions o Hegemonic minority gains control via technology
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit