Week 5 EC255.docx

3 Pages

Department
Economics
Course Code
EC255
Professor
Alex Lun

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
EC255 Week 5
7.1 SAMPLING
-Data are gathered from samples and conclusions are drawn about the population as a part of the
inferential statistics process
-The term census refers to a study of all units of the population of interest
-The term sample refers to a study of only a portion of that population
Reasons for Sampling
1. The sample can save money
2. It can save time
3. For given resources, the sample can broaden the scope of the study
4. Because the research process is sometimes destructive, the sample can save product
5. If accessing the population is impossible, the sample is the only option
Reasons for Taking A Census
1. To eliminate the possibility that by chance a randomly selected sample may not be representative of
the population
2. Safety of the consumer
-Even when proper sampling techniques are implemented in a study, it is possible that a sample could
be selected by chance that does not represent the population
Frame
-The sample is taken from a population list, map, directory, or other source used to represent the
population this list, map or directory is called the frame
-Ideally, a one-to-one correspondence exist between the frame units and the population units
-In reality, the frame and the target population are often different
-Ex. A feasible frame would be the residential pages of the Montreal telephone book it would differ
from the target population because some families have no telephone
-Frames that have over registration contain the target population units plus some additional units
-Frames that have under registration contain fewer units than does the target population
Random versus Non-random Sampling
-In random sampling, every unit of the population has the same probability of being selected into the
sample
-In non-random sampling, not every unit of the population has the same probability of being selected
into the sample
-Sometimes random sampling is called probability sampling, and non-random sampling is called non-
probability sampling
-Non-random sampling methds are not appropriate techniques for gathering data to be analyzed by
most o the statistical methods presented in this text
Random Sampling Techniques
Simple Random Sampling
-Each unit of the frame is numbered from 1 to N(N is the size of the population). Next, a table of
numbers or a random number generator is used to select n items into the sample. A random number
generator is usually a computer program that allows computer calculated output to yield random

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
EC255 Week 5 7.1 SAMPLING -Data are gathered from samples and conclusions are drawn about the population as a part of the inferential statistics process -The term census refers to a study of all units of the population of interest -The term sample refers to a study of only a portion of that population Reasons for Sampling 1. The sample can save money 2. It can save time 3. For given resources, the sample can broaden the scope of the study 4. Because the research process is sometimes destructive, the sample can save product 5. If accessing the population is impossible, the sample is the only option Reasons for Taking A Census 1. To eliminate the possibility that by chance a randomly selected sample may not be representative of the population 2. Safety of the consumer -Even when proper sampling techniques are implemented in a study, it is possible that a sample could be selected by chance that does not represent the population Frame -The sample is taken from a population list, map, directory, or other source used to represent the population – this list, map or directory is called the frame -Ideally, a one-to-one correspondence exist between the frame units and the population units -In reality, the frame and the target population are often different -Ex. A feasible frame would be the residential pages of the Montreal telephone book – it would differ from the target population because some families have no telephone -Frames that have over registration contain the target population units plus some additional units -Frames that have under registration contain fewer units than does the target population Random versus Non-random Sampling -In random sampling, every unit of the population has the same probability of being selected into the sample -In non-random sampling, not every unit of the population has the same probability of being selected into the sample -Sometimes random sampling is called probability sampling, and non-random sampling is called non- probability sampling -Non-random sampling methds are not appropriate techniques for gathering data to be analyzed by most o the statistical methods presented in this text Random Sampling Techniques Simple Random Sampling -Each unit of the frame is numbered from 1 to N(N is the size of the population). Next, a table of numbers or a random number generator is used to select n items into the sample. A random number generator is usually a computer program that allows computer calculated output to yield random EC255 Week 5 numbers Stratified Random Sampling -The population is divided into non-overlapping subpopulations called strata. The researcher then extracts a simple random sample from each of the subpopulations -Stratified random samples allow the researcher to study each stratum individually by making sure that even a small stratum of interest is properly represented, and they have the potential
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit