EN392 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: Empress Matilda, Thomas Becket, Paul The Apostle

23 views4 pages
School
Department
Course
Professor
EN392
Miracles and Medieval Attitudes toward the Body
Method An Introduction to the History of Sexuality
The Development of Sexuality
Michel Foucault
Our usual thinking about power is wrong, misconceived, or limited
Typically we would think of authority figures such as police officers or political leaders
o Traditioal phsial eaples of poer: the aors offie, it ouil, et.
Foucault thinks individual relations between people are more powerful
A family relation- sitting around a table is a more power-infused relationship than one we would
have with the mayor of the time
o Interaction number and level
Alas poer relatios etee people ut the dot alas ork ho e epet
B poer, I do ot ea Poer as a group of istitutios ad ehaiss that esure the
subservience of the citizens of a given state. By power, I do not mean, either, a mode of
subjugation which, in contrast to violence, has the form of the rule. Finally, I do not have in
mind a general system of domination exerted by one group over another, a system whose
effets, through suessie deriatios, perade the etire soial od.
ultipliit of fore relatios iiet alas read to appear i the sphere i hih the
operate ad hih ostitute their o orgaizatio siultaeousl ad spotaeousl
Poer is eerhere; ot eause it eraes eerthig, ut eause it oes fro
eerhere.
Local between individuals rather than political figures
Spontaneous it just springs up
Unstable situations rarely last long and often change or reverse; changing all the time and
seemingly for no reason
Everywhere at once but without major depth
The Medieval Ideas toward the Body
The cult of St. Thomas Becket is one of the most important in Britain in the Middle Ages
Great friend of Henry II
Civil war Aarh of “tee. Epress Maud akes ig tie attle agaist hi
o Her son, Henry II, will become the next king
He is a highly individual person in nearly every single respect
Pain in the butt to deal with he didt reall are aout athig
Reformed laws beginning to end
Excess obsessive compulsive energy would pace in church
Children: Richard the Lionheart and John (Robin Hood)
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 4 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Method an introduction to the history of sexuality. By power, i do not mean, either, a mode of subjugation which, in contrast to violence, has the form of the rule. Jerusalem: rome, santiago (spain) st. james, relics of saints, miracles associated with saints or their relics, usually have healing properties. Healing via miracles: god has direct power over the body, bei(cid:374)g (cid:373)ade (cid:862)whole(cid:863, your moral life being written upon your body (as a map of your soul or moral compass, missing an arm = showing you acted immorally. Important to note that disability is not permanent; you will be made whole again: unlike the nihilistic view that nothing can be fixed. If you were poor or disabled, your local church would take you in: they choose who they will heal and often for very arbitrary reasons, no idealis(cid:373) a(cid:271)out be(cid:272)ket(cid:859)s perso(cid:374)alit(cid:455, miracles often the most important part of hagiography.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers