Film Studies Week 3
CHC convention: unity of action
- Cause: deadline
- Effect: steps taken to meet deadline
The syuzhet (plot) omits periods of the fabula (story) that are irrelevant to the chain of cause and effect
4 act structure in the killer
1) Setup/Exposition – Ole is murdered. Riordan begins insurance investigation. Turning Point:
Riordan obtains permission to continue investigation for one day. GOAL/ENIGMA who killed Ole
2) Complication Action – Riordan learns of Ole’s past and involvement with Colfax. Turning Point:
hat factory heist is revealed. Boss allows Riordan to continue investigation
3) Development – Riordan discovers that Ole stole the money after the heist. Riordan sets trap for
Dumdum, who escapes. Turning Point: Riordan figures out missing link: Kitty
4) Epilogue: interview with Kitty, final showdown
Elements of Style
Mise-en-scene and Cinematography
Mise-en-scene: putting in the scene. Everything that is visible in the scene: props, costumes, actors etc.
1) Setting: physical environment where the action takes place – three kinds of setting
2) Human Figure – casting, type casting, acting style, figure placement, costumes, makeup
b. Acting - realism?
i. Brechtian distanciation – wanted to remind his audiences that they were
watching something that was constructed, not real.
a. Quality – hard (shadows) and soft
b. Direction – the path of light from its source to the object lit
c. Contrast – the relative intensity of key ligh