GG101 Week 12 Lecture 1.docx

3 Pages

Department
Geography
Course Code
GG101
Professor
James Hamilton

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
GG101 Week 12 Lecture 1
Glacial Processes
Glacial Ice
o process: snow to firn to glacial ice
o firn = snow that survives a melt season
denser than wild snow
Glaciers
o large mass of perennial snow and ice, that typically shows movement in response
to gravity
Morphology
o ice sheets
large ice mass, of area greater than 50,000 km^2, these ice masses cover
the underlying topography
o ice caps
a large ice mass, sufficient to bury underlying topography but with an area
less than 50,000 km^2
example: Barnes ice cap, Baffin island
o ice field
a level area of ice of variable size
lacks the prominent dome shape seen in sheets and caps
example: Columbia Icefield Alberta/BC
Glacier Classification
o Valley Glaciers
a long narrow glacier confined between valley walls
usually fed by cirque glaciers or functions as an outlet glacier for ice
fields, caps or sheets
o Cirque Glaciers
a small body of ice, firn and snow that occupies a depression, hollow or
bowl on a mountain side
o Others (e.g. Piedmont)
o Thermal Regime (Temperature)
cold based (polar)
basal ice temperature is well below the pressure melting point
(freezing point), ice is frozen to the bed
warm based (temperature)
basal ice temperature is at or near the pressure melting point
(freezing point), ice is not frozen to its bed, water may be present
Mass Balance

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
GG101 Week 12 Lecture 1 Glacial Processes  Glacial Ice o process: snow to firn to glacial ice o firn = snow that survives a melt season  denser than wild snow  Glaciers o large mass of perennial snow and ice, that typically shows movement in response to gravity  Morphology o ice sheets  large ice mass, of area greater than 50,000 km^2, these ice masses cover the underlying topography o ice caps  a large ice mass, sufficient to bury underlying topography but with an area less than 50,000 km^2  example: Barnes ice cap, Baffin island o ice field  a level area of ice of variable size  lacks the prominent dome shape seen in sheets and caps  example: Columbia Icefield Alberta/BC  Glacier Classification o Valley Glaciers  a long narrow glacier confined between valley walls  usually fed by cirque glaciers or functions as an outlet glacier for ice fields, caps or sheets o Cirque Glaciers  a small body of ice, firn and snow that occupies a depression, hollow or bowl on a mountain side o Others (e.g. Piedmont) o Thermal Regime (Temperature)  cold based (polar)  basal ice temperature is well below the pressure melting point (freezing point), ice is frozen to the bed  warm based (temperature)  basal ice temperature is at or near the pressure melting point (freezing point), ice is not frozen to its bed, water may be present  Mass Balance o the annual budget between inputs (precipitation) and outputs (melting, evaporation, sublimation, etc) for a glacier  if mass balance is positive, the glacier gains mass:  more inputs than outputs  glacier gets bigger  if mass balance is negative, the glacier loses mass:  more output than inputs  glacier gets smaller o a glacier may be divided into:  Accumulation Zone  where mass balance is positive  Ablation Zone  where mass balance is negative  ice moving from accumulation zone to ablation zone  Zones and Equilibrium (firn) line  flow of ice within a glacier  Motion of Glacial Ice o rates of movement are typically metres to tens of metres per year  rates vary with (3 variables) ice temperature, slope and ice thickness
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit