March 12 2014
Virtue Ethics. Cont.
Environmental Virtue Ethics
Benevolence as an environmental virtue
Definition: the quality of being well meaning; Kindness
A collection of virtues:
Usually a reaction to suffering
o And often affection
A Benevolent Act
1. The agent engages in an imaginative reconstruction of the life of the other
2. The agent attempts to determine what is in the best interests of the other
3. The agent is motivated to act with the best interest of the other In mind
Benevolence as Environmental Virtue:
o Active and consistent concern for the wellbeing of human and non
How do we find such a person? Look for pattern of behaviour over a lifetime
Something that we work on continuously, cannot be benevolent on Tuesdays and
not on Thursdays
1. Can we be compassionate towards a nonsentient entity ?
a. Talking about plants and systems
b. Can only feel compassion for entities that can suffer
c. Benevolence is a collection of virtues, another virtue may apply in the
case of nonsentience
2. Can we imaginatively enter the life of a nonconscious, nonhuman other?
a. Try to i