PS271 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Isabel Briggs Myers, Psychological Types, Team Building

55 views2 pages
School
Department
Course
January 19th, 2017
Should be asking who am i?
o What are my values, skills, interests and PERSONALITY and how does this translate into a meaningful career path
What is Personality TYPE??
Based on Carl Jug’s Theory of Psychological Types (1921) to classify and understand human preferences and behaviours
Theory explains the normal differences that exist among ppl and gives language for understanding differences
Jung believed human behaviors:
o Had some predictability
o Could be described in terms of preferences
Myers Briggs Type Indicator
MBTI
Deeloped y Katherie Briggs ad daughter Isael Myers to help idetify jo fit for e orkers i ters of ofort durig
WWII constructive use of differences
Psychometric questionnaire designed to measure psychological preferences identified by Jung
Typefocus is an abbreviated version of MBTI
TYPE Today
Most widely used personality assessment globally
Explains some of the atural siilarities ad differees ithi oral* populatio (the grip’)
o When someone is operating in their inferior function and not dominant (not their best)
Measures PREFERENCES not aptitudes or competence
Personality Type Theory
We use all parts
But not all at once or with equal confidence
Type is aout atural preferee ot aout hat is right/rog or better/worse
Personality Type Theory maintains that we have ONE true, genuine self that remains relatively consistent throughout our lives
o Work with what is comfortable and always tend to stray back to that
What does it Measure?
Type bar graph indicates consistency of your response, not actual ability or skills
A high sore does ot eessarily idiate a ell-developed or well used characteristic
As e alk through desriptios, e at you to assess hether you feel your results of ;true..
Value of Understanding TYPE
Understand, appreciate and resolve conflict
Stress mgt
Team building and dynamics
Professional and career development
Uses of MBTI
Type is used as a tool in:
o Personal counselling : including marriage and family counselling
o Team management : as a tool for improving team performance
o Hiring and job evaluation : as a tool for indenting required abilities and screening candidates
o Career assessment and mgt : used to assist individuals w identifying potential careers and managing careers
Introduction to Dichotomies
ORIENTATION TO ENERGY
Extraverts ppl energized by the outer world; active; breadth of interest ; thrive on interaction ; outgoing ; talk through things
Introverts energized by innter world ; focus on thoughts, concepts ; reflective ; depth of interest ; understand it before you live
it ; inwardly directed ; think things through
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Should be asking who am i: what are my values, skills, interests and personality and how does this translate into a meaningful career path. Based on carl ju(cid:374)g"s theory of psychological types (1921) to classify and understand human preferences and behaviours. Theory explains the normal differences that exist among ppl and gives language for understanding differences. Jung believed human behaviors: had some predictability, could be described in terms of preferences. De(cid:448)eloped (cid:271)y katheri(cid:374)e briggs a(cid:374)d daughter isa(cid:271)el myers to help ide(cid:374)tify jo(cid:271) (cid:862)fit(cid:863) for (cid:374)e(cid:449) (cid:449)orkers i(cid:374) ter(cid:373)s of (cid:272)o(cid:373)fort duri(cid:374)g. Psychometric questionnaire designed to measure psychological preferences identified by jung. Explains some of the (cid:374)atural si(cid:373)ilarities a(cid:374)d differe(cid:374)(cid:272)es (cid:449)ithi(cid:374) (cid:374)or(cid:373)al* populatio(cid:374) ((cid:858)the grip": when someone is operating in their inferior function and not dominant (not their best) But not all at once or with equal confidence. Type is a(cid:271)out (cid:858)(cid:374)atural(cid:859) prefere(cid:374)(cid:272)e (cid:374)ot a(cid:271)out (cid:449)hat is right/(cid:449)ro(cid:374)g or better/worse.

Get access

Grade+
$10 USD/m
Billed $120 USD annually
Homework Help
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
40 Verified Answers
Study Guides
Booster Classes
Class+
$8 USD/m