- The crusades were about EU nations wanting to take over holy lands.
- Religjous reasons, political desire to take over the holy lands and economic
resource to access the middle east
- First attempt to get through the Ottoman Empire happens by Portuguese
sailing around Africa.
o Start landing on the shores of Africa
We see colonies in Africa trying to get resources, create ports
and slave trade
o Portuguese did not have the resources to fund Columbus’ expedition
Columbus goes to Spanish leaders
When Worlds Collide – Story of Isabela… - Short Film (PBS)1580201904
- wanted everyone to be Christian
- once Isabella and Fernidad were told about a new land and people, they tried
to get the people of the land (America) to bring to Christianity
Treatment of new people (SF)
- somewhat contradictory
o much more friendlier responses in some places, in other places
treated very harshly and made into slaves
- 1850, indigenous people
o small pox and other diseases
- much of Mexico conquered by Spanish
- Dutch engage in colonization in Africa, some involvement in the new world
- French jumping in to get involved, came to North America
- English joined in the 1600s
- If we think of the diff kinds of groups, 1200 people, 50 linguistic people.
- Indigenous people tended to see a ritual perspective as part of the every day.
o The body was sinful and dirty