SY280 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Structural Functionalism, Verstehen, Arson

68 views4 pages
10 Apr 2018
School
Department
Course

Document Summary

Validity: measures what it is supposed to (i. e. height uses meters instead of kg) The research model: selecting a topic, defining the problem, reviewing the literature, formulating a hypothesis, choosing a research method, collecting the data, analyzing the results, sharing the results. Variable: an empirical object or phenomenon that can assume a number of different values i. e. income, religion, education, class, age, ethnicity. Two types of variables that are important: Independent variable: a factor that is assumed to be responsible for causing or bringing about the value of other factor. The number of hours a person works in a year is an independent variable that influences a person"s annual income. Dependent variable: a factor whose values is assumed to be caused or brought about by the operation of an independent variable i. e. annual income is dependent on number of hours worked. Examples: age is the independent variable which influences legal laws (driving, alcohol consumption)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers