Assignment Instructions (please read carefully)
1. While we encourage study groups and brainstorming, assignments are to be
done on an individual basis. They are NOT group work. Please review the
Senate Policy on Academic Honesty at the following URL:
2. Penalties for infractions such as cheating and/or plagiarism are severe and
will be enforced.
3. Assignments are to be typed on the computer using statistical analysis
programs and word processing programs (i.e. Word and Excel).
4. Your name and student number must be on every page of your assignment.
5. One cover page for the assignment should be included, not a cover page for
each section. The cover page has been created for you and is found
along with this assignment on the course website
6. 10 or 11 font should be used (Times New Roman or Arial for the font type).
7. Pages are to be numbered in a “number of number” format (i.e. 3 of 10, 4 of
8. Assignments should be organized by question. That means every piece of
information for that question is found in the same section of the report. If I
have to look for it, it is not organized.
9. Assignments are due at the beginning of lecture as per the course outline;
LATE or handwritten assignments will NOT be accepted.
10.Equations can be generated in either word or excel using the following
instructions within the program: Insert > Object > Microsoft Equation
11.Please remember that this is a testing instrument and because of
fairness to all students we will NOT be answering questions related to
the assignment, just do your best.
12.You are to complete All Cases and Questions
1 All cases have to be answered manually (see Example 12.1 on Page 400 in your
textbook). You can use any computer software to find the mean, variance, and other
descriptive statistics (for example, in EXCEL, you can use function “average” to
find the mean, “var” to find the sample variance, and “countif” to find the
frequency, etc. If you use EXCEL, you might need to sort the data sometimes.
Pressing function key F1 and typing “sort” for help on how to sort data).
Note that this assignment is a case study. In order to answer each case completely,
you might need to read related chapters in your textbook thoroughly.
USE STATISTICAL TABLES AT THE END OF YOUR TEXTBOOK.
DO NOT PRINT SOFTWARE OUTPUT.
(80 marks in total)
Case 1 (35 marks)
People have de bating for years as to whether children who are in child care facilities
while their parents work experience negative effects. A recent study discussed in the
March 2011 issue of