Administrative Studies
Course
ADMS 2400
Professor
Indira Somwaru
Semester
Fall

Description
5 Attitudes, Moods, and Emotions Attitudes, Moods, and Emotions Management Notes - Job satisfaction: pleasurable emotional state resulting from the appraisal of one’s job or job experiences. o How you feel about your job o What you think about your job - Employees who has high job satisfaction will get positive feelings and vice versa - Values: things that people consciously or unconsciously want to see or attain. Eg: o Pay o Promotions o Supervision o Co-workers o Altruism o Status o Environment Value Fulfillment: Value-Percept Theory - Value-percept theory: job satisfaction depends on whether employee perceives that his or her job supplies those things that he or she values. o Dissatisfaction = (V want – V have) x (V importance) - Pay satisfaction: employees` feelings about the compensation for their jobs. - Employees would based their pay towards their job duties and they would compare their pay to their fellow colleagues 4 Facets - Promotion satisfaction: employees` feelings about how the company handles promotions. o Some people would not like promotions because of more responsibilities or more long work hours o Whereas some would like it as it opens more opportunities for them and they have a higher wage - Supervision satisfaction: employees` feelings about their boss, including his or her competency, communication, and personality. o Two questions are usually asked  Can they help me attain things that I value?  Are they generally likeable? - Co-worker satisfaction: employees’ feelings about their co-workers, including their abilities and personalities. o Two questions are usually asked:  Can they help me do my job?  Do I enjoy being around them? - Satisfaction with the work itself: employees’ feelings about their actual work tasks. o Is it dull, repetitive, and uncomfortable? Or is it challenging, interesting, and respected. The Job Characteristic Model - There are three critical psychological states that make work satisfying: o Meaningfulness of work: a psychological state indicating the degree to which work tasks are viewed as something that counts in the employee’s system of philosophies and beliefs. o Responsibilities for outcomes: a psychological state indicating the degree to which employees feel they are key drivers of the quality of work output o Knowledge of results: a psychological state indicating the extent to which employees are aware of how well or how poorly they are doing o Job characteristic theory: a theory that argues that five core characteristics (variety, identity, significance, autonomy, and feedback) combine to result in high levels of satisfaction with the work itself Core job characteristics (VISAF) - Variety: the job that requires different activities that involves different skills and talents. - Identity: the piece of work has to be completed in whole and it has to be identifiable. - Significance: when a job matters and impacts society as a whole. - Autonomy: when you have freedom, independence, and discretion while you’re perform at work. - Feedback: the job itself provides the worker with clear information on how well he or she is doing - Knowledge and skill: employees have the aptitude and competence to succeed on their job
More Less

Related notes for ADMS 2400

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit