York University (33,530)
ADMS 2600 (99)

4 Pages
Unlock Document

York University
Administrative Studies
ADMS 2600
Monica Belcourt

COOPERATE: To work or act together toward a common end or purpose COLLABORATE: To work together, especially in a joint intellectual effort. INTERDEPENDENCE: Relying on one another to achieve success. ACCOUNTABLE: The responsibility of each member for his/her actions towards the team’s progress and outcome. COMMITTED: Being bound to each other. Groups vs Teams Groups vs Teams A group of people working together does not necessarily form a team! The members of a TEAMnot only COOPERATE, but they also COLLABORATE to reach a SHARED GOAL - - - • they have HIGH DEGREE OF INTERDEPENDENCE • they are INDIVIDUALLY ACCOUNTABLE for the team’s success • they are deeply COMMITTED to each other from the Questionnaire … Which description best describes your contribution to group work? a) I usually do my part and let someone else put it all together b) I’m the one who takes everybody’s work and puts it all together Notice the wording of the question? DO THESE 2 OPTIONS DESCRIBE THE BEHAVIOURS OF A TEAM? • is there collaboration? • is there interdependence? • is there commitment? • is there accountability? When you work like that – it just cooperation - you do NOT benefit from the force* generated A team creates SYNERGY. Synergy – The results arising from interaction where the combined effect is greater than the sum of individual effects. – the collective whole is greater than the sum of its parts – The opposite of synergy? ANTAGONISM commitment •interdependence •accountability •open communication •trust •reasoning •group problem-solving What are the inputs to The outcomes of SYNERGY • Better decision-
More Less

Related notes for ADMS 2600

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.