Case - Minding the Store.doc

2 Pages

Department
Administrative Studies
Course Code
ADMS 3020
Professor
Etan Lasri

This preview shows 80% of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Description
In order for managers to empower effectively, they must enhance the following qualities in their subordinates: 1. Self-efficacy: “I can do it attitude” 2. Self-determination: Internal locus of control, I have choices 3. Personal consequence: what I do has an impact 4. Meaning: what I do adds value 5. Trust: I will be treated fairly and equitably There are 9 specific prescriptions to generating empowerment (see practical suggestions on p. 460): 1. Articulating a clear vision and goals 2. Facilitating personal mastery experiences 3. Modeling or demonstrating the desired behavior 4. Providing Support 5. Replacing negative emotions with positive ones 6. Providing information 7. Providing resources 8. Providing connection to outcomes 9. Creating confidence Ten Delegation Principles 1. Begin with the end in mind: the desired results of the delegated task must be clear. 2. Delegate completely. Indicate the expected level of initiative. 3. Allow participation in the delegation of assignments 4. Establish parity between authority and responsibility 5. Delegate to the lowest organizational level at which a job can be done. 6. Provide adequate support for delegated tasks 7. Focus accountability on results. Do not micromanage. 8. Delegate consistently 9. Avoid upward delegation 10. Clarify consequences Violated empowerment guidelines a) by Ken Hoffman: 1 – 3 – 4 – 6 – 9 Mr Hoffman failed to provide Ruth with clear performance guidelines of where her branch should be taken. He wrongly assumed she knew and gave her no directions, set no boundaries. Neither he demonstrated his desired behaviors. Even when she made her first “mistake” by hiring an Inventories assistant, he failed to provide her with information, guidelines, a budget, a procedures manual. By micro-managing Ruth, Hoffman is not creating much confidence on her. Hoffman should have taken this first opportunity to meet with Ruth and establish clear, general guidelines; a list of can's and cannot's, must's and must not's. Ruth had given clear indications of initiative and desire to make her store one of the best, if not the best. Hoffman had been “twice warned” and still did not act in consequence. If store rules indicate that no charge could be made over $1000 for any reason, Hoffman should instead encourage Ruth to double check with him on these “particular” occasions. By doing so, Hoffman would be demonstrating his desired behavior to Ruth. Instead he said: “”you need to learn to use your head.” Three strikes, Hoffman is out. Still he did not ask for a clarifi
More Less
Unlock Document

Only 80% of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit