Chapter 8: Technology-Based training methods
Technology basedtraining methods:training that involvestheuseoftechnologytodeliver it.Any technology that
deliverseducation or training isincluded.
Traditional Training:training that doesn`t involvesthe useoftechnologytodeliver itsuchasclassroomtrainingwitha
Major types of technology based training
1. Internet: computer networksaround the worldconnected
2. Intranet: network withinan organization
3. Extranet:collaborative network that uses internet to link organizationswiththeir suppliersand customersor
other organizationsthat share common goals.
4. CD-ROM:format and system for recording,strongand retrieving.
5. Electronic performancesupport system:integrated computer application that uses expert systemstohelpa
user perform a task quickly without support from others
6. Electronic simulation:device that replicatesareal deviceor system
7. Multimedia:application that uses a combination oftext,graphicsand audio.
8. Teleconference: instantexchange of audio,video between 2 groups/indiv.
9. Television:transmission of TV signalsvia cableor satellitetechnology.
Computerbasedtraining:training that’s deliveredthroughthecomputer for teachingjob relevant skills.Alsoknown as
Instructorledtraining:part of computer based learningthatcan involvean instructor whofacilitatesortrainsonline.
Maybe highly involved and leads the process.Itmaybeaselfstudyprogramandthe courseinvolvesand the
instructor isavailable foranswering questions.
Selfdirectedlearning:when individualstakethe initiative for learningandmanagetheir own experiences.Seek out
resourcesto enhance learning.Veryflexible.
Advantages:Learn at own pace,time reduced,learn tobe independent,can learn according totheir beststyle
Disadvantages:may learn wrong thingswithout correction,waste time findinghelpfulmaterial,mustlearn to
tolerate inefficiencies and mistakes.
Asynchronous training:available to allemployees at anytime fromanywhere.Involvespostingoftext/graphics...etc.
Synchronous training:live and in real time so theymust beat their computer at aspecifictime.Theseinvolvechat
Electronic Performance support systems:computerbased thatprovidesinformation,advice and learning
experiencesto help improve performance. Providesseveraltypesofsupport including assisting,warning,advising,
teaching and evaluating. -Goalisto provide any necessary aids.
-Instant hep on how to perform atask.
Video conferencing:linking an expert to employeesvia2waytechnology.
-ideaisthat 2+people are able to see,hear and speak withone another permittingsimultaneousmeetingsindifferent
-Benefit isthat fellow employeesaround the countryaredoingand sharingideasaboutbestpractices.
-Disadvantage: less personal attention is given totra