Finance Final Exam
Solutions provided at the end of the paper.
1. You are expected to pay $1,883.33 per month on a one-year loan with a principal of
$20,000. What is the EAR of this loan?
2. You are planning to buy a $240,000 home with a $105,000 mortgage at 6% APR for 25
years. What is your monthly payment?
3. ABC Corp. has a 10% coupon (semi-annual payments) bond with 7 years to maturity
selling at 104% of par (par value =$1,000). What is the bond’s effective annual yield (i.e.
1 4. Based on the following information about yesterday’s trading activity which appears in
today’s Globe and Mail for IC Inc., what was the closing price the day-before-yesterday
on IC’s $1,000 face value 7.875% bond? Bond prices are quoted as percentage of face
Bond Current Yield Volume Close Net Change
IC Inc. 7.875 9.4 10 ? -0.5
5. Big Sell Computers has planned dividend payments of $6.50, $5.00, $3.00 and $2.00
over the next four years. If the required rate of return on the stock is 16%, what is the
current share price if dividends are expected to grow at a constant rate of 5% infinitely
after the fourth year?
6. Given that XYZ Inc. is projecting a dividend growth of 25% annually over the next 3
years, 18% in the fourth year and 8% annually thereafter, what is the projected dividend
for next year based upon an expected 15% return on the stock and a current share price of
7. If a project has a positive NPV, what is true about its discounted payback?
A) The discounted payback will be less than the project life.
B) The discounted payback may not fall within the project.
C) The NPV of the project will equal the discounted payback.
D) More information is needed in order to arrive at an answer.
2 8. The PI is:
A) the measure of the NPV of a project’s net income.
B) the NPV of cash flows relative to the project’s initial cost.
C) the discount rate that causes the NPV of a series of cash flows to be identically zero.
D) the indexed measure of all future cash flows relative to the firm’s discount rate.
9. A firm is facing a hard capital rationing. Given the firm’s required rate of return of 9%,
apply the PI decision rule to the following two projects. Which project would you
Year Project I Cash Flow Project II Cash Flow
0 -$20,000 -$3,000
1 $10,000 $2,500
2 $10,000 $2,500
3 $10,000 $2,500
A) Neither project should be accepted.
B) More information is needed before a decision can be made.
C) Project I.
D) Project II.
10. A firm using a discount rate of 12% calculated expected annual cash flows on a new 4-
year project, whose expected initial cost is $8,000, to be $7,000, $7,500, $8,000, and
$8,500, respectively. What is the discounted payback period of the project?
A) 1.20 years
B) 1.29 years
C) 1.50 years
D) 1.67 years
11. At what discount rate would you be indifferent between accepting and rejecting a project
which costs $6,000 today with annual cash flows of $1,200 for the next nine years?
3 12. A project requires an installed cost of a new machine of $412,670. The four year useful
life of the machine is expected to generate annual cash inflows of $212,817, $153,408,
$102,389, and $72,308, respectively. The machine has no salvage value. At what
discount rate is the NPV of this project equal to zero?
13. What is the amount of the operating cash flow for a firm with $500,000 profit before tax,
$100,000 depreciation expense, and a 35% corporate tax rate?
14. What is the present value of the CCA tax shield at 10% discount rate for a firm in the
35% tax bracket that purchased a $50,000 asset, if the CCA rate is 15% and the half-year
rule applies? Assume no salvage value.
15. What is the net effect on a firm’s working capital if a new project requires: $30,000
increase in inventory, $10,000 increase in accounts receivable, $25,000 increase in
machinery, and $20,000 increase in accounts payable?
4 16. In capital budgeting analysis, an increase in working capital can be shown as:
A) A cash inflow at the beginning of the project.
B) A cash outflow at the beginning and an equal cash inflow at the end of the
C) A cash inflow at the beginning and an equal cash outflow at the end of the
D) A decrease in the initial amount invested.
17. New projects or products can have an indirect effect on the firm as well as direct effect.
Which of the following appears to be an indirect effect of a launching a new product?
A) Additional working capital is required.
B) Sales force will need to be increased.
C) Sales of our similar product will decline.
D) Additional machinery must be purchased.
18. What is the maximum percentage of variable costs in relation to sales that a firm could
experience and still (accounting) break even with $5 million revenue, $1 million fixed
costs and $500,000 depreciation?
19. Calculate the NPV break-even level of sales for a project requiring an investment of
$3,000,000 and providing as annual cash flows: 0.15×sales less $250,000. Assume the
project will last 10 years and that the discount rate is 10%.
5 20. Market demand allowed a firm to raise its price by 20% to $60. What is the new level of
accounting break-even revenue if fixed charges including depreciation are $1 million and
variable costs per product were 70% of the old price?
21. A firm with $600,000 fixed costs and $200,000 depreciation is expected to produce
$225,000 in pretax profits. What is its DOL?
22. If a firm’s DOL is 4 when its pretax profit is $2,000,000 and its depreciation is $500,000,
how much fixed costs (excluding depreciation) does it have?
23. A decision tree shows a 30% probability of $2 million in returns and a 70% chance of $1
million in returns occurring one year in the future. What is the maximum amount you
would invest today in this project if the discount rate is 10%?
6 24. Which of the following variables would you suspect to be least significant in a sensitivity
analysis of a fast-food establishment?
B) Labour cost.
C) Depreciation schedule.
D) Food cost.
25. Which of the following offers the most plausible scenario for a firm that maintained a
constant DOL when its level of fixed costs (excluding depreciation) doubled?
A) Depreciation expense increased.
B) Variable cost percentage decreased.
C) Sales revenues declined.
D) Pretax profits decreased.
26. The option for a firm to expand future productions has value because:
A) the future holds uncertainty.
B) future production will be profitable.
C) production costs will be higher in the future.
D) the option requires no investment today.
27. In a year in which common stocks offered an average return of 18%, Treasury bonds
offered 10% and Treasury bills offered 7%, the risk premium for common stocks was:
28. What is the standard deviation of returns for a one-year project with (only) two equally
likely outcomes: a 100% gain and a 100% loss?
7 29. If when a coin is tossed the observance of a head rewards you with a dollar and the
observance of a tail costs you fifty cents, how much would you expect to gain after
twenty tosses? Assume that a head and a tail are equally likely to occur in a toss.
30. A portfolio consists of 75% of stock L and 25% of stock S. The standard deviations of
stocks L and S are 16% and 20%, respectively. The covariance of stocks L and S is -160
percentages squared. Compute the standard deviation of this portfolio.
31. Industries that generally perform well when other industries are performing well are
referred to as:
A) diversified industries.
B) systematic risk industries.
C) cyclical industries.
D) countercyclical industries.
32. Although unique risk is present in differing amounts, individual stocks are:
A) exposed to the same amount of market risk.
B) exposed to differing amounts of market risk also.
C) not exposed to market risk; only the general economy is subject to market risk.
D) able to diversify away their market risk.
33. Which statement is correct concerning macro risk exposure?
A) All firms face equal macro risk exposure.
B) Only portfolios of stocks face macro risk exposure.
C) Macro risk exposure affects the cost of capital.
D) Macro risk exposure is less important to diversified investors than micro (specific)
8 34. What should be the beta of stock C if an investor wishes to achieve a portfolio beta of 1
in the following equally weighted portfolio: stock A (beta = 0.9), stock B (beta = 1.1),
and stock C?
35. Calculate the risk premium on a stock given the following information: risk-free rate =
5%, market portfolio return = 13% and beta of the stock = 1.3.
36. What portfolio return would be expected by an investor whose portfolio was 25% market
portfolio, 25% of a stock with beta of 0.8, and 50% Treasury bills if the risk-free rate was
7% and the market risk premium was 8%?
37. What is the beta of a portfolio with an expected return of 12% if the expected return on
the market portfolio is 14% and Treasury bills yield 6%?
9 38. What happens to the expected portfolio return if the portfolio beta increases from 1 to
1.2, the risk-free rate decreases from 5% to 2.2%, and the market risk premium increases
from 8% to 9%?
A) It increases from 13% to 14%.
B) It increases from 13% to 15.64%.
C) It decreases from 18% to 15.64%.
D) It remains unchanged.
39. Where will the following two projects plot in relation to the security market line (SML) if
the risk-free rate is 6% and the market risk premium is 9%? Which project should be
Project Beta IRR
I 2.0 25%
II 1.1 15%
A) Project I plots above the SML and should be accepted; Project II plots below
the SML and should be rejected.
B) Project I plots above the SML and should be rejected; Project II plots below
the SML and should be accepted.
C) Project I plots below the SML and should be accepted; Project II plots above
the SML and should be rejected.
D) Project I plots below the SML and should be rejected; Project II plots above
the SML and should be accepted.
40. When the overal