LECTURE 9 THE ROLE OF GOVERNMENT IN REAL ESTATE.docx
LECTURE 9: THE ROLE OF GOVERNMENT IN REAL
Local Planning Tools
1. Zoning Ordinance – involves the use of both a map and a text. The subject
area is mapped into a series of zones or districts that are classified as
commercial, industrial, residential, and sometimes a combination of the three.
2. Subdivision Regulation – works in conjunction with zoning regulation to
accomplish municipal land use objectives.
3. Building Codes – Form of regulation to protect the public health and safety,
most particularly to avoid structural defects and fire hazards that can cause
injury and loss of life.
4. Growth Planning
5. Provision of Public Goods – All three levels of government are involved in
transportation systems and in the location of their own operating facilities.
Federal Government Role In Real Estate
1. Banking and Interest Rates
2. Canada Mortgage and Housing (CMHC)
3. Regulation of Insurance Industry
4. Regulation of Trade
5. Environmental Protection
6. Urban Renewal
7. Airline and Railway Regulation
9. Securities Regulation – non-existent.
Provincial Government Role In Real Estate
1. Environmental Regulation (waste and sewage disposal)
2. Land Registration
3. Mineral Rights
4. Marriage Law 5. Riparian Rights and Littoral Rights
6. Land Use Development Process Control
7. Transportation (highways and Go Transits)
8. Housing (Building and Fire Codes)
9. Rent Control
12. Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing (Planning Act, and Rent Control)
13. Ontario Mu