Administrative Studies
Course
ADMS 4501
Professor
All Professors
Semester
Winter

Description
Advanced Portfolio Management ADMS 4501 – Winter 2012 – Lois King Lecture 2 – Chapter 2 – The Asset Allocation Decision – Jan 12   The Asset Allocation Decision ­ Individual investor life cycle. ­ The portfolio management process. ­ The need for policy statement. ­ Constructing the policy statement. ­ The importance of asset allocation. What is Asset Allocation? ­ Asset allocation o Process of deciding how to distribute an investor’s wealth among different countries and asset classes for investment purposes. ­ Asset class o Group of securities that have similar characteristics, attributes, and risk/return relationships. ­ Investor o Depending on the type of investors, investment objectives and constraints vary.  Individual investors.  Institutional investors. Individual Investor Life Cycle: Preliminaries ­ Life insurance: providing death benefits and, possibly, additional cash values. o Term life and whole life insurance. o Universal and variable life insurance. ­ Non-life insurance o Health insurance & disability insurance. o Automobile insurance & home/rental insurance. ­ Cash reserve o To meet emergency needs. o Equal to six months living expenses. Phases of an Investor’s Life Cycle ­ Accumulation phase o Early to middle years of working career. ­ Consolidation phase o Past midpoint of careers. Earnings greater than expenses. ­ Spending/gifting phase o Begins after retirement. Life Cycle Investment Goals ­ Near-term, high-priority goals. ­ Long-term, high-priority goals. ­ Lower-priority goals. Portfolio Management Process: Policy Statement ­ Specifies investment goals and acceptable risk levels. ­ Should be reviewed periodically. ­ Guides all investment decisions. Portfolio Management Process ­ Policy statement o Focus: Investor’s short-term and long-term needs, familiarity with capital market history, and expectations. ­ Examine current and projected financial, economic, political and social conditions. o Focus: Short-term and intermediate-term expected conditions to use in constructing a specific portfolio. ­ Implement the plan by constructing the portfolio. o Focus: Meet the investor’s needs at minimum risk levels. ­ Feedback loop: monitor and update investor needs, environmental conditions, evaluate portfolio performance. Need for Policy Statement ­ Understand investor’s needs and articulate realistic investment objectives and constraints. o What are the real risks of an adverse financial outcome, and what emotional reactions will I have? o How knowledgeable am I about investments and the financial markets? o What other capital or income sources do I have? How important is this particular portfolio to my overall financial position? o What, if any, legal restrictions affect me? o How would any unanticipated portfolio value change might affect my investment policy? ­ Sets standards for evaluating portfolio performance. o Provides a comparison standard in judging the performance of the portfolio manager. o Benchmark portfolio or comparison standard is used to reflect the risk and return objectives specified in the policy statement. o Should act as a starting point for periodic portfolio review and client communication with the manager. ­ Other benefits o Reduces possibility of inappropriate or unethical behaviour of the portfolio manager. o Helps create seamless transition from one money manager to another without costly delays. o Provides the framework to help resolve any potential disagreements between the client and the manager. Input to the Policy Statement ­ Constructing the policy statement begins with a profile analysis of the investor’s current and future financial situations and a discussion of investment objectives and constraints. ­ Objectives o Risk o Return ­ Constraints o Liquidity, time horizon, tax factors, legal and regulatory constraints, and unique needs and preferences. Investment Objectives ­ Risk objectives o Should be based on investor’s ability to take ris
More Less

Related notes for ADMS 4501

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit