ADMS 2600 - 11.docx

6 Pages

Department
Administrative Studies
Course Code
ADMS 2600
Professor
Ron Alexandrowich

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 6 pages of the document.
CH. 11
Requirements for a Sound Benefits program
- Strategic benefits planning
- Communicating employee benefits information
- Providing for flexibility
- Allowing for employee involvement
- Benefits for a diverse workforce
Management Concerns
Concerns of Managements
- Union demands for additional benefits
- Benefits offered by other employees
- Tax consequences of benefits
- Rising costs of providing benefits
Strategic Benefits Planning/Objective of Benefits Program
- Improve employee work satisfaction
- Meet employee health and security requirements
- Attract and motivate employees
- Reduce turnover
- Maintain a favourable competitive position
Providing for Flexibility
Flexible Benefits Plans (Cafeteria Plans)
- Benefit plans that enable individual employees to choose the benefits that are best suited to their
particular needs.
- A basic or core benefits package of life and health insurance, sick leave, and vacation ensures that
employees have a minimum level of coverage.
- Employees use “credits” to “buy” whatever other benefits they need.
ADVANTAGES
- Employees select benefits to match their individual needs.
- Benefit selections adapt to a constantly changing (diversified) workforce.
- Employees gain greater understanding of the benefits offered to them and the costs incurred.
DISADVANTAGES
- Poor employee benefits selection results in unwanted financial costs.
- There are certain added costs to establishing and maintaining the flexible plan.
- Employees may choose benefits of high use to them that increase employer premium costs.
Communication Benefits Information
- In-house publications (employee handbooks and organizational newsletters)
- Group meeting and training classes
- Audiocassettes/videotapes
- Bulletin boards
- Payroll inserts/pay stub messages
- Specialty brochures
- Employee self-service systems (ESS)
Concerns of Management
- Union demands for additional benefits
- Benefits offered by other employees
- Tax consequences of benefits
- Rising cost of providing benefits
- Benefits coverage for domestic partners
Benefits Mandated by Law
Required by Law
- Canada/Quebec pension plans
- Employment Insurance
- Worker’s Compensation
- Provincial Hospital and Medical Services
Discretionary
- Health care
- Payment for time not worked
- Severance Pay

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
CH. 11 Requirements for a Sound Benefits program - Strategic benefits planning - Communicating employee benefits information - Providing for flexibility - Allowing for employee involvement - Benefits for a diverse workforce Management Concerns Concerns of Managements - Union demands for additional benefits - Benefits offered by other employees - Tax consequences of benefits - Rising costs of providing benefits Strategic Benefits Planning/Objective of Benefits Program - Improve employee work satisfaction - Meet employee health and security requirements - Attract and motivate employees - Reduce turnover - Maintain a favourable competitive position Providing for Flexibility Flexible Benefits Plans (Cafeteria Plans) - Benefit plans that enable individual employees to choose the benefits that are best suited to their particular needs. - A basic or core benefits package of life and health insurance, sick leave, and vacation ensures that employees have a minimum level of coverage. - Employees use “credits” to “buy” whatever other benefits they need. ADVANTAGES - Employees select benefits to match their individual needs. - Benefit selections adapt to a constantly changing (diversified) workforce. - Employees gain greater understanding of the benefits offered to them and the costs incurred. DISADVANTAGES - Poor employee benefits selection results in unwanted financial costs. - There are certain added costs to establishing and maintaining the flexible plan. - Employees may choose benefits of high use to them that increase employer premium costs. Communication Benefits Information - In-house publications (employee handbooks and organizational newsletters) - Group meeting and training classes - Audiocassettes/videotapes - Bulletin boards - Payroll inserts/pay stub messages - Specialty brochures - Employee self-service systems (ESS) Concerns of Management - Union demands for additional benefits - Benefits offered by other employees - Tax consequences of benefits - Rising cost of providing benefits - Benefits coverage for domestic partners Benefits Mandated by Law Required by Law - Canada/Quebec pension plans - Employment Insurance - Worker’s Compensation - Provincial Hospital and Medical Services Discretionary - Health care - Payment for time not worked - Severance Pay - Life and LT Care insurance - Retirements and pensions Canada and Quebec Pension Plans - Covers all employees between ages of 18 and 70. - Used to pay retirement pensions, disability benefits and survivor benfits. - All contributions come from employers and employees Employment Insurance - Benefits paid to claimants who are unemployed and actively seeking employment. - Amount paid is determined by the number of hours of employment in the past year, and the regional unemployment rate. - Additional benefits may be extended for situations involving illness, injury, quarantine, and for maternity, paternity or adoption leave. Worker’s Compensation Insurance - Provincial and territorial insurance (funded by an employer payroll tax) provided to workers to defray the loss of income and cost of treatment due to work-related injuries or illness. - Factors influencing the employer’s insurance rate: Reducing Worker’s Compensation Costs: Key Areas 1. Perform an aud
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit