4 Pages
Fall 2011

Department
Administrative Studies
Course Code
ADMS 3531
Professor
all

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
Personal Investment Management
ADMS 3531 - Fall 2011 – Professor Dale Domian
Lecture 1, Part 2 – Diversification and Asset Allocation – Sept 13
Chapter Two Outline
Expected return and variances.
Portfolios.
Diversification and portfolio risk.
Correlation and diversification.
Markowitz efficient frontier.
Asset allocation and security selection decisions of portfolio formation.
Diversification
In fact, diversification has a profound effect on portfolio return and portfolio risk.
Diversification and Asset Allocation
Our goal in this chapter is to examine the role of diversification and asset allocation in
investing.
In the early 1950s, Professor Harry Markowitz was the first to examine the role and
impact of diversification.
Based on his work, we will see how diversification works, and we can be sure that we
have ‘efficiently diversified portfolios’.
oAn efficiently diversified portfolio is one that has the highest expected return,
given its risk.
oYou must be aware of the difference between historic return and expected return.
Historical Returns
Although it is important to be able to calculate historical returns, we really care about
expected returns, because we want to know how our portfolio will perform from today
forward.
Expected Returns
Expected return is the ‘weighted average’ return on a risky asset, from today to some
future date.
To calculate an expected return, you must first:
oDecide on the number of possible economic scenarios that might occur.
oEstimate how well the security will perform in each scenario, and

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Personal Investment Management ADMS 3531 ­ Fall 2011 – Professor Dale Domian Lecture 1, Part 2 – Diversification and Asset Allocation – Sept 13 Chapter Two Outline − Expected return and variances.  − Portfolios.  − Diversification and portfolio risk.  − Correlation and diversification. − Markowitz efficient frontier.  − Asset allocation and security selection decisions of portfolio formation. Diversification − In fact, diversification has a profound effect on portfolio return and portfolio risk.  Diversification and Asset Allocation − Our goal in this chapter is to examine the role of diversification and asset allocation in  investing.  − In the early 1950s, Professor Harry Markowitz was the first to examine the role and  impact of diversification. − Based on his work, we will see how diversification works, and we can be sure that we  have ‘efficiently diversified portfolios’. o An efficiently diversified portfolio is one that has the highest expected return,  given its risk.  o You must be aware of the difference between historic return and expected return. Historical Returns − Although it is important to be able to calculate historical returns, we really care about  expected returns, because we want to know how our portfolio will perform from today  forward. Expected Returns − Expected return is the ‘weighted average’ return on a risky asset, from today to some  future date.  − To calculate an expected return, you must first: o Decide on the number of possible economic scenarios that might occur. o Estimate how well the security will perform in each scenario, and o Assign a probability to each scenario.  o (BTW, finance professors call these economic scenarios, ‘states’.) − The next slide shows how the expected return formula is used when there are two states. o Note that the ‘states’ are equally likely to occur in this example. BUT! They do  not have to be. They can have different probabilities of occurring.  Calculating the Variance of Expected Returns − The variance of expected returns is calculated as the sum of the squared deviation of each  return from the expected return, multiplied by the probability of the state. Standard Deviation − The standard deviation is simply the square root of the variance.  − The following slide contains an example that shows how to use these formulas in a  spreadsheet. Portfolios − Portfolios are groups of assets, such as stocks and bonds that are held by an investor.  − One convenient way to describe a portfolio is by listing the proportion of the total value  of the portfolio that is invested into each asset. − These proportions are called portfolio weights. o Portfolio weights are sometimes expressed in percentages. o However, in calculations, make sure you use proportions. Variance of Portfolio Expected Returns − Note: unlike returns, portf
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit