adms4520_-_lecture_1_-_pa.docx

3 Pages

Department
Administrative Studies
Course Code
ADMS 4520
Professor
all

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Advanced Financial Accounting I
ADMS 4520 – Winter 2012 – Patrice Gelinas
Lecture 1 Part 1 – A Survey of International Accounting – Jan 6
GAAP Variances and Standardization
- Past GAAP variations between countries caused financial measurement and presentation
differences.
- GAAP differences have included income-smoothing techniques, variances in asset
measurement and revaluations, and the differing nature and extent of disclosures.
- Globalization of commerce and capital has increased the number of multinational
companies and therefore the need to standardize financial reporting.
Comparability and Cost-Benefit Constraint
- The comparability objective of financial reporting is impaired by differing standards.
- For example, to improve comparability to U.S. public companies, the U.S. Securities and
Exchange Commission (SEC) has required Canadian companies that trade on U.S.
exchanges to reconcile their net income from Canadian GAAP to U.S. GAAP.
- The cost of preparing financial statements under multiple GAAP standards is significant
and hinders the international flow of capital.
Factors that Influence a Country’s Accounting Standards
- The following factors can affect national accounting standards:
oTaxation – How closely is taxable income based on accounting income?
oCapital Markets – In countries where publicly traded debt and equity are the
major source of business financing, disclosure standards are greater.
Harmonization in the European Union
- 27 European Union (EU) member countries in 2009, 17 of which use the Euro as a
common currency.
- EU has attempted to harmonize accounting principles of member countries by issuing
‘directives’ which often allowed flexible, alternative reporting practices.
- In 1983 EU directive required the consolidation of subsidiaries, a change in practice for a
number of member countries.
International Accounting Standards Board (IASB)
- Successor in 2001 to International Accounting Standards Committee (IASC). Canada was
a founding member of the IASC in 1973.
- Current IASB objectives:

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Advanced Financial Accounting I ADMS 4520 – Winter 2012 – Patrice Gelinas Lecture 1 Part 1 – A Survey of International Accounting – Jan 6 GAAP Variances and Standardization ­ Past GAAP variations between countries caused financial measurement and presentation  differences. ­ GAAP differences have included income­smoothing techniques, variances in asset  measurement and revaluations, and the differing nature and extent of disclosures. ­ Globalization of commerce and capital has increased the number of multinational  companies and therefore the need to standardize financial reporting. Comparability and Cost­Benefit Constraint ­ The comparability objective of financial reporting is impaired by differing standards.  ­ For example, to improve comparability to U.S. public companies, the U.S. Securities and  Exchange Commission (SEC) has required Canadian companies that trade on U.S.  exchanges to reconcile their net income from Canadian GAAP to U.S. GAAP. ­ The cost of preparing financial statements under multiple GAAP standards is significant  and hinders the international flow of capital. Factors that Influence a Country’s Accounting Standards ­ The following factors can affect national accounting standards: o Taxation – How closely is taxable income based on accounting income? o Capital Markets – In countries where publicly traded debt and equity are the  major source of business financing, disclosure standards are greater. Harmonization in the European Union ­ 27 European Union (EU) member countries in 2009, 17 of which use the Euro as a  common currency.  ­ EU has attempted to harmonize accounting principles of member countries by issuing  ‘directives’ which often allowed flexible, alternative reporting practices. ­ In 1983 EU directive required the consolidation of subsidiaries, a change in practice for a  number of member countries. International Accounting Standards Board (IASB) ­ Successor in 2001 to International Accounting Standards Committee (IASC). Canada was  a founding member of the IASC in 1973.  ­ Current IASB objectives: o To develop a single set of high­quality, global accounting standards that require  transparent and comparable information in general purpose financial statements. o To cooperate with various national accounting standard­setters in order to achieve  convergence in world standards. ­ 38 IASB standards in force as of 2009.  ­ IASB will introduce new International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRSs) and  International Accounting Standards (IASs) in the future. International Adoption of Principles­Based IFRS ­ As of 2009, 93 countries including Canada either currently require or have announced a  future requirement for
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit