ADMS 4900 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Tacit Knowledge, Intellectual Capital, Peter Drucker

72 views9 pages
Chapter 4 Assessing the Intellectual Assets of the Firm
THE CENTRAL ROLE OF INTELLECTUAL CAPITAL IN TODAY’S ECONOMY
- All firms must critically assess their intellectual assets (i.e. brand, technology, knowledge, human
capital) to see ho the’e itall connected to their value creation activities
- Itelletual & ifoatio poesses eate ost of the seie fis’ alue
- Book value vs. market value (market-to-ook atio diegig; gap etee a fi’s aket & ook
value is greater in knowledge-intensive corporations than for firms with strategies based on tangible
assets
The Knowledge Economy
- Pete Duke: Koledge oke ad the koledge the possess ae the eoo’s pia
esoue; it’s more valuable than material or financial resources
- “ilio Valle fis fid talet  tappig ito eistig eploees’ soial otats; elatioship
networks facilitate recruitment since individuals have more loyalty to their peers than they with their
current employer
- In the machine age, people were ailla ut o i the ifoatio age, koledge is etal → ith
the knowledge economy, wealth is created through effective management of intellectual assets
knowledge workers (instead of the efficient control of physical & financial assets)
Intellectual Capital
- Companies can create value in a knowledge-intensive economy by managing their intellectual assets,
attract & leverage human capital to create products of value
- Intellectual capital: Intangible assets (i.e. human capital, social capital, intellectual property, brand,
trademarks) hih otiute to a fi’s ailit to eate alue though e koledge ad its
applications
- Managing intellectual capital is the only source of sustainable competitive advantage
- Entails the whole life cycle of creation, codification, valuation, protection, and leveraging of these
assets
- Intellectual capital = Market value of firm Book value of the firm
- Human capital: Consists of individual eploees/aages K“As ad epeiee → oes
knowledge that is relevant to task at hand and the capacity to add to the reservoir of KSAs through
learning
Social Capital
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-3 of the document.
Unlock all 9 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
- Social capital: Network of relationships that individuals have throughout the organization
- Critical in sharing & leveraging knowledge and in acquiring resource
- Extends beyond organizational boundaries to include relationships between the firm and its suppliers,
customers, alliance partners, and other stakeholders
Knowledge
- Concept of knowledge comes in 2 forms:
Explicit/codified knowledge: Documented, easily reproduced, widely distributed (i.e. codes, patents)
Tacit knowledge: Experiences & backgrounds situated in the minds of employees and can only be
shared ith the idiidual’s oset ad patiipatio
- New knowledge is constantly created in firms; involves continual interaction of explicit & tacit
knowledge (i.e. 2 software engineer create a code (explicit knowledge) but by sharing ideas their tacit
knowledge makes modifications to the existing code)
- Socially-complex processes (leadership, culture) is an inimitable competitive advantage that creates
knowledge
Intellectual Property
- Intellectual property: Ideas, innovations and creations that contribute to competitive advantage if the
firm can protect it exclusive right to extract value
HUMAN CAPITAL: THE FOUNDATION OF INTELLECTUAL CAPITAL
- Rise in prominence of the knowledge worker as a vital source of competitive advantage has changed
the power balance in firms today; knowledge workers place professional development & personal
enrichment (financial or otherwise) above company loyalty
- 3 critical interrelated processes firms must engage to build & leverage their human capital in order to
build
Intellectual capital:
Attracting Human Capital (Hiring/Recruiting)
- Doside of lok & ke etalit fidig a jo adidate that fits ito the jo → this athig
approach only places emphasis on task-specific skills and puts less emphasis on broader aspects such as
general knowledge & experience, social skills, values, etc.
- Some believe that if firms identify top performers by focusing on mindsets, social skills, etc., task-
specific skills a e leaed i shot ode → hie fo attitude, tai fo skill
Unlock document

- The single best predictor of future behaviour is past behaviour; people’s pesoalit stas the sae
thoughout thei life → ou a teah a peso alost athig ut ou a’t teah the ho to e ie
- Cuet eploees’ efeals ae a good soue fo e oes sie the’ll ol eoed soeoe
the’e ofidet i
Developing Human Capital
- It’s ipotat to tai eploees at all leels so the fulfill thei potetial & aiize thei
contributions
- Fiaial etus o taiig a e diffiult to alulate ut it’s still essetial to podutiit gais
- Effective development of human capital throughout the organization involves:
o Encouraging Widespread Involvement Active involvement from all leaders, not just HR
o Monitoring Progress & Tracking Development Helps companies figure out how the employee is
doing, what skills they need to work on, and where else in the company they might thrive
o Continuous Evaluation & Feedback - Firms have begun to use 360-degree evaluation & feedback
systems where superiors, direct reports, colleagues, and even customers rate a peso’s skill based on
iteia → esults a see as a pesoal ehaks o to esue aage’s suess is’t oig fo
opoisig the ogaizatio’s oe alues
Retaining Human Capital
- Leaders can provide good a working environment, incentives, or use legal means to retain its talent:
o Identifying with an Organization’s Mission & Values People who identify with/are committed to a
fi’s oe issio & alues ae less likel to sta sie the feel loal to the opa
o Challenging Work & Stimulating Environment Intrinsic motivation is important in keeping employees
excited about challenges & opportunities available
o Financial & Non-financial Rewards and Incentives Money is important for security, recognition, etc.
different incentives may be valued more since the workforce is diverse; non-financial incentives (i.e. on-
site amenities, better work-life balance) might be more valued to others
THE VITAL ROLE OF SOCIAL CAPITAL
- Talent attraction/development/retention is necessary but is’t sufficient for creating competitive
advantage; developing social capital (i.e. friendships, working relationships) has become more important
than human capital since knowledge workers are more loyal to their colleagues & professions than the
firm
Unlock document

Document Summary

Chapter 4 assessing the intellectual assets of the firm. The central role of intellectual capital in today"s economy. All firms must critically assess their intellectual assets (i. e. brand, technology, knowledge, human capital) to see ho(cid:449) the(cid:455)"(cid:396)e (cid:448)itall(cid:455) connected to their value creation activities. I(cid:374)telle(cid:272)tual & i(cid:374)fo(cid:396)(cid:373)atio(cid:374) p(cid:396)o(cid:272)esses (cid:272)(cid:396)eate (cid:373)ost of the se(cid:396)(cid:448)i(cid:272)e fi(cid:396)(cid:373)s" (cid:448)alue. Book value vs. market value (market-to-(cid:271)ook (cid:396)atio(cid:895) di(cid:448)e(cid:396)gi(cid:374)g; gap (cid:271)et(cid:449)ee(cid:374) a fi(cid:396)(cid:373)"s (cid:373)a(cid:396)ket & (cid:271)ook value is greater in knowledge-intensive corporations than for firms with strategies based on tangible assets. Pete(cid:396) d(cid:396)u(cid:272)ke(cid:396): (cid:862)k(cid:374)o(cid:449)ledge (cid:449)o(cid:396)ke(cid:396)(cid:863) a(cid:374)d the k(cid:374)o(cid:449)ledge the(cid:455) possess a(cid:396)e the e(cid:272)o(cid:374)o(cid:373)(cid:455)"s p(cid:396)i(cid:373)a(cid:396)(cid:455) (cid:396)esou(cid:396)(cid:272)e; it"s more valuable than material or financial resources. Ili(cid:272)o(cid:374) valle(cid:455) fi(cid:396)(cid:373)s fi(cid:374)d tale(cid:374)t (cid:271)(cid:455) tappi(cid:374)g i(cid:374)to e(cid:454)isti(cid:374)g e(cid:373)plo(cid:455)ees" so(cid:272)ial (cid:272)o(cid:374)ta(cid:272)ts; (cid:396)elatio(cid:374)ship networks facilitate recruitment since individuals have more loyalty to their peers than they with their current employer. Companies can create value in a knowledge-intensive economy by managing their intellectual assets, attract & leverage human capital to create products of value.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers