ANTH 1120 (296)
Lecture 2

ANTH 1120 Lecture 2: Lecture 2 - Seeing Through the Eyes of Others

7 Pages
Unlock Document

York University
ANTH 1120
Alexandra Widmer

Lecture 2 Seeing Through the Eyes of Others Tuesday, May 2, 2017 11:23 AM Key questions: How can people begin to understand beliefs and behaviours that are different from their own? Taking a comparative approach, reflecting on our own experiences. Reflexivity, is a key part of the comparative method. How do I know what I know about my own culture? And about other peoples cultures? Why do humans differ in their beliefs and behaviours? Is it possible to see the world through the eyes of others? Structure, resistance. Beliefs very much shaped by our culture. Culture shapes our bodies. Things in our mind ___________________ Not just seeing through the eyes of others, but learning about different bodily experiences. The way we use our bodies is different, it is not universal. Culture is embodied. Trying to see how other people make sense of the world: to understand how people understand culture. Culture is shared, it is passed on, it is learned. Symbols and meanings associated with culture. The system of meanings about the nature of experience that are shared by a people and passed on from one generation to another, including the meanings that people give to things, events, activities and people. Textbook: page 9. Colonial and missionary context of the development of anthropology Late 1800s1920s Colonialism (Europeans), leaving Europe, to travel to other places claiming those places as their own, changing the lives of others in countries. Encountering different ways of how people lived. Going to places that were not Christian in their eyes, wanting to change people, to make people European somehow. Shock, disgust, generally to label inferior. Europeans did not understand
More Less

Related notes for ANTH 1120

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.