Winter 2016

Department
Anthropology
Course Code
ANTH 1120
Professor
Christianne Stephens
Lecture

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
ANTH 1120: Experiences of Downsizing
January 27, 2016
Take home:
Social and Cultural Construction: means that things are not
naturally” constructed, they are constructed through practice; refers
how our practices and ideas are build up on what we say and what we
do.
Why did losing their factory jobs a$ect Rustbelt men’s masculinity?
How did losing their factory jobs a$ect Rustbelt men’s masculinity?
Construction of masculinity and job – how and why they are
connected?
Rustbelt Revival
Global and Mail article:
oCleveland Ohio
oPittsburgh, Pennsylvania
oGrand Rapids, Michigan
oAllentown, Pennsylvania
oAkron, Ohio
Places the author visited; all these towns are much larger than
Windsor, London, St Catherines.
Less resources available, high degree of economic risks:
o US relied heavily on company’s donations;
o Trying to make enough spots so young people will live there;
o Role of university in economy (eg. MITACS = internships)
Meanwhile, state of emergency in Flint, Michigan  due to water
crisis. The state started getting water to the river (coercive water) and
exposed lead on water pipeline = LEAD POISONING.
Terms:
Social Strati+cation and Social Hierarchy
oStrati+cation: the process of the creation of the hierarchy;
forming layers and categories of people
oHierarchy: strict level in society (ordering of the levels)
Eg. Gender, class, ethnicity, race
Sex vs. Gender: by saying that gender is constructed, means it is not
automatic ideas. We build them up by learning them, using them, and
teaching other people. Gender is build up di$erently in di$erent places.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
ANTH 1120: Experiences of Downsizing January 27, 2016 Take home:  Social and Cultural Construction: means that things are not “naturally” constructed, they are constructed through practice; refers how our practices and ideas are build up on what we say and what we do.  Why did losing their factory jobs affect Rustbelt men’s masculinity?  How did losing their factory jobs affect Rustbelt men’s masculinity? Construction of masculinity and job – how and why they are connected? Rustbelt Revival  Global and Mail article: o Cleveland Ohio o Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania o Grand Rapids, Michigan o Allentown, Pennsylvania o Akron, Ohio  Places the author visited; all these towns are much larger than Windsor, London, St Catherines.  Less resources available, high degree of economic risks: o US relied heavily on company’s donations; o Trying to make enough spots so young people will live there; o Role of university in economy (eg. MITACS = internships)  Meanwhile, state of emergency in Flint, Michigan  due to water crisis. The state started getting water to the river (coercive water) and exposed lead on water pipeline = LEAD POISONING. Terms:  Social Stratification and Social Hierarchy o Stratification: the process of the creation of the hierarchy; forming layers and categories of people o Hierarchy: strict level in society (ordering of the levels)  Eg. Gender, class, ethnicity, race  Sex vs. Gender: by saying that gender is constructed, means it is not automatic ideas. We build them up by learning them, using them, and teaching other people. Gender is build up differently in different places. Ideas change over time – historical transformation, vary cross- culturally.  Gender Stratification & Hegemonic Masculinity: gender privilege, not the same among men. What do we learn from Fat Talk that we can apply to the factory men who lose their jobs?  Fat Talk: women talking about dieting, etc (textbook reading)  Readings: They talked about their bodies no matter what size they were, and they need to diet to fit into the “thin idea” of perfect body.  Article: Instead of body, they talked about their jobs and roles (as father) to fulfill, “the breadwinner ideal”. DOWNSIZING  A business strategy reducing the number of employees (Laid-of: temporary; Downsizing: permanent)  Easy way to downsize is just to fire workers  Lean & Mean Management: regardless of workers’ loyalty where companies try to find “continuous improvement”  Ethnics of outsourcing (Neoliberal): the employers are able to leave is based on the neoliberal ideology.  Article: none of workers were hired again, instead they moved to work to another location. What happens when the factory man meets job loss through deindustrialization?  Hegemonic Masculinity: a form/privilege even though it moves or shifts overtime  Fordist Identity 
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit