Class Notes (976,506)
CA (575,531)
York (40,982)
ANTH (672)
ANTH 1120 (337)
Lecture 9

ANTH 1120 Lecture 9: ANTH 1120 (march 16, 2016)
Premium

3 Pages
Winter 2016

Department
Anthropology
Course Code
ANTH 1120
Professor
Christianne Stephens
Lecture

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.


Working for Free? Unpaid Internships in Toronto
Unremunerated Labour

 !"!
#!$""!
%& """
$ !'(  $'
# ) $* + !'
')!'(
What are the circumstances students work for free?
,-.#.
/00#1#-//%1#2/,,
,-.#3.22.#,456)7
 "))")8$$8$'9+ 
!)$'
/$:!
/$!!5 ;! !
7'!*8$'
 &""!'
Why do they work for free?
<" ::8$&'
 8$ &'"& &
$")8$'")""
"! $"))8$'
o/"&
o#"" ! 
=> $*""?'
o,&/@) "( &""
 '
o/)) ":)8$
<)'
o<" "$)"> 
"?57'""$)!"
$A"'" + 
 )'
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
ANTH 1120 March 16, 2016 Working for Free? Unpaid Internships in Toronto Unremunerated Labour  New form of casualization  Instead of replacing permanent work with temporary work  Paid work is replaced by unpaid, temporary work  Unpaid internships exist along side paid position, you are not physically separate to those people being paid for the work. It’s part of how the things run on a regular basis. Purpose is for education and giving a better chance for getting a paid work. This is a not force situation. This is an active participation from people who decided to work for free.’ What are the circumstances students work for free?  INTERNSHIPS  COOP/PRACTICUM/PLACEMENT  INTERNSHIP WITH SMALL STIPEND ($100 for travel)  Highly competitive environment for entry level jobs, but also for internship jobs. Getting an internship is like an achievement because people compete for it.  Can be full-time professional workload or more  Can be asked to do menial tasks (get coffee, take meeting minutes, clean the kitchen, etc). these are tasks that are not written in the job description. The idea is people want to get the experience for the industry they want to work with. Why do they work for free?  Because they wan to get professional, practical, on-the-job experience. In the past, people get an actual job to get experience. They are not expected to get experience before they have done the job. Today, interns want to prove to employers that they already know how to do something before they even have the job. o Compensate for no industry experience o Pay their dues means they understand that doing this work will help to get hired later on… “starting from the bottom to your way up”. o Experience on their CV, even though they don’t get the experience they really want to get. o Competitive advantage for an entry-level job  Because of their worldview. o Because they strongly believe that they “gained more out of the internship than the company did” (200). At the end of the day, they believe that the work they did benefited them more than the company. They are getting more is what shaping this worldview. o Because they can afford to: privilege of parental support. They don’t have to worry on things like rent and other financial obligations.  Unremunerated intern= not an actual employee  No workplace benefits (no pension, no employment insurance, medical insurance). Employers assume that interns get their financial support from other source like their parents.  Cannot legally make claims about the workplace harassment, overtime, task not in job description (Interns are not entitled to employment laws because they are not actually employees, they can’t make legal claims).  Not entitled to employment standard laws in the same as the paid employees Law in Ontario  ESA 2000  Training should be similar, for the benefit of the intern, inter
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit