L.22 The Male Reproductive System:
Secrete male sex hormones (testostorone)
- Pair of testes = primary sex ogran, gonads, form sperm and testosterone
- A system of Duct which sperm travels.
- The penis
- Various glands that nourishes and protects the sperm
***Know the structure of the penis
Testes produce sperm and sex hormones
Tunica is the the inner layer of a testes, and inside the testes their are septums that
divide the testes into parts. And inside the septums their are seminiferous tubules
and that where sperm is made.
- Intersitial (leydig) cells: lie between the seminiferous Tubules which produces
- Sustentacular (sertoli) cells: lie among forming sperm, protect sperm.
Each teste carries spermatogenesis independently:
- At puberty, spermatogenic cells that stimulate sperm production
- First it divides into a spermatogonia
- Then this spermatogonia goes into the seminiferous tubes and their they turn
- 1 sprematogonia makes = 16 sperm cells]
- A mature sperm cell contains 3 parts: head, midpeice, tail.
Male duct system: from the efferent ductules to the epididymis then to the ductus
deferens. Male urethra:
- 18 cm long male urethra
- Urethra contains 3 regions: prostatic, membranous, spongy (penile)
3 sets of glands: seminal vesciles, prostate gland, bulbourethral (cowper) glands.
1) Seminal vesicles: posterior to bladder, secretes Alkaline fluid – neutrilizes urine
- Contents is emptied into the duct
- Forms 60% semen
2) Prostate gland: surrounds urethra and ejeculatory duct