1500 02 Crime and Criminal Justice Guelph Winter 2011-2.docx

Department
Anthropology
Course Code
ANTH 2100
Professor
N/ A
Lecture

This preview shows pages 1-3. to view the full 12 pages of the document.
UNIVERSITY OF GUELPH
COLLEGE OF SOCIAL AND APPLIED HUMAN SCIENCES
DEPARTMENT OF SOCIOLOGY AND ANTHROPOLOGY
UNDERGRADUATE COURSE SYLLABUS
Course: SOC 1500 (02) Crime and Criminal Justice
Term: Winter 2011 Tuesdays and Thursdays 7:00 – 8:30 p.m. ROZH 101
Professor: Dr. Mavis Morton
Office: 633 MacKinnon Bldg.
Tel: (519) 824-4120 x 52576
Email: mortonm@uoguelph.ca
Course consultation hours: Tuesdays 1-2 p.m. by appointment please. Please Email or
call me to set up an appointment.
T.As
Isabella Fiorillo ifiorill@uoguelph.ca
Melissa Hern mhern@uoguelph.ca
Ashley McInnis amacinni@uoguelph.ca
Brief Course Description:
This course introduces students to crime in Canada by examining how crime is defined,
measured, explained, and responded to by the criminal justice system. Selective
theories of crime will be discussed with an emphasis on sociological perspectives, and
how these relate to legislation, social/criminal justice policy and criminal justice issues.
Selective contemporary issues and debates surrounding crime, and the criminal justice
system in Canadian society will be discussed including topics such as media and
representation, street crime, and corporate crime.
Class Time and Location
Tuesdays and Thursdays 7:00 – 8:30 p.m. ROZH 101
Table of Contents for Course Outline
A. Evaluative Components and Due Dates
Page 2
i) Submitting Assignments
Page 2
ii) Late Assignment Policy
Page 2
iii) Attendance
Page 3

Only pages 1-3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

B. Teaching Assistants
Page 3
C. The Teaching Approach
Page 3
D. Course Overview and Expectations
Page 3
i. Expected Learning Outcomes
Page 4
E. Required Reading
Page 4
F. At a glance calendar
Page 5
G. Schedule of Topics and Readings
Page 6
H. University Policies and Procedures
Page 9
I. Access/Disability
Page 10
A. Evaluation Component and Due Dates
The final grade for the course will be based on the following items weighted as
indicated. The format and specific instructions for the assessments will be made
available:
Assessment Type
%
Date
CourseLink Participation Critical Reflection
20%
Weekly & final reflection April 5th
Media Assignment
20%
Tuesday February 15th 2011
Quizzes (best 10)
35%

Only pages 1-3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Weekly
Final Exam
25%
April 16th 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
Total
100%
i) Submitting & Retrieving Assignments:
1) Students must submit their media assignment (including link to online newspaper if
applicable) in the online dropbox through D2L on Tuesday February 15th, 2011 by
midnight and hand in hard copies (including media event you used) to T.A’s for marking
between Tuesday February 15th and Thursday February 17th.
2) Students must submit their critical reflection assignment in the online dropbox
through D2L on Tuesday April 5th by midnight and hand in hard copies of assignment to
T.A.s for marking between Tuesday April 5th and Thursday April 7th (last day of
class!).
3) The TA's will not be responsible for downloading or printing your online version, nor
will they mark it. You are also expected to pick up your marked assignment once it has
been marked.
ii) Late Assignment Policy
Assignments will be graded out of 100%. Late assignments will also be graded out of
100% but the grade will be reduced by 1% for every day it is late (7% per week). For
instance, if an assignment is received 10 days late and would have received a grade of
80% (A) its recorded grade will be 70% (B). This rule is intended to reduce the need for
extensions. If you think you are going to be late by several days but will end up with a
better assignment, do not ask for an extension. Simply take two or three more days (but
inform your T.A. and the small risk of losing two or three marks out of 100.
iii) Attendance/Participation:
You are responsible for obtaining ALL information given in lecture (including handouts,
videos, music, announcements etc.) and this is easier to do if you are present. If you
miss a lecture, make arrangements with a colleague to get updated. While I will often
post Power Point slides either before or after a class, I will not provide lecture notes.
Students are required to participate in a Courselink discussion group for a 20%
participation mark. More information will be available in class and on Courselink about
this. Each student will be assigned to a group of approximately 35-40 students. The
group will appear when you click on ‘discussions’ or ‘groups’. NB: notify the instructor
immediately if you do not have a discussion group. Participating in the discussion group
will not only earn you useful marks but also will help you to put the readings and
lectures to some active use in order to improve your knowledge and understanding.
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version