Fall 2018

Department
Art History
Course Code
ARTH 2541
Professor
Malcolm Thurlby
Lecture

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
English and Norman Romanesque After 1090
Pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela
Arthur Kingsley
He went across Europe and was a fine scholar who travelled and documented
Lombard Architecture
He highly valued documentary date over stylistic date
Pilgrimage Churches
Double aisles
massive western block
Standard basilica layout
Conques- Church of St. Foi
She refused to worship idols and so she became a martyr, and so they made an idol of her in
the church
One of the best medieval treasuries in the world
Its because they hid everything around the village until the hunt for relics was over
The statue of St. Foi is about 1/2 life size, and covered in gold and gemstones
Twin towers on the western front
large enclosing arches- much like the arch of Constantine
Tympanum- God is identified by regal scale and style as well as a cruciform halo
Represents the entrance o heaven vs. damnation to hell
These tympanums told stories from the bible to a largely illiterate audience
Vibrantly coloured
Keys=St. Peter
No clerestory n the nave, only in the apses
Octagonal crossing tower
Squinch- transitional arch used on the interior of octagons
Groin vaults prior to the transept channels on the north side
More ornamentation= more important area of the church
Corinthian capitals were painted
The addition of buttresses allows for the loading of the faults so that the barrel vaults wont
collapse and there wont be any lateral expansion
Toulouse
Christ in Majesty was a relief sculpture done by Bernard Gildum
Could have been recessed into the ambulatory, however it also could have been placed on top
of the altar
reredos- decorum above a church altar
Surrounded by the evangelists
Double line fold technique adds volume to the point of the appearance of a pot belly on christ
Detail of the high altar is signed by the sculptor
Recycled marble from Roman works on the tympanum
Become more realistic, using variety in pose to make more interesting composition
Historiated capitals, including the enunciation of the Virgin
Drapery suggesting the form suggests inspiration form late antiquity, as well as the
bubbleheads with extremely tight curls
Massive hands make the scenes easier to read with exaggerated hand gestures
Most common in Ottoman illuminated manuscripts
Saint Pierre
Pilgrimage inspired church
1st 1.4 of the 12th century
Single story elevation- reduced

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
English and Norman Romanesque After 1090 Pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela Arthur Kingsley He went across Europe and was a fine scholar who travelled and documented Lombard Architecture He highly valued documentary date over stylistic date Pilgrimage Churches Double aisles massive western block Standard basilica layout Conques- Church of St. Foi She refused to worship idols and so she became a martyr, and so they made an idol of her in the church One of the best medieval treasuries in the world Its because they hid everything around the village until the hunt for relics was over The statue of St. Foi is about 1/2 life size, and covered in gold and gemstones Twin towers on the western front large enclosing arches- much like the arch of Constantine Tympanum- God is identified by regal scale and style as well as a cruciform halo Represents the entrance o heaven vs. damnation to hell These tympanums told stories from the bible to a largely illiterate audience Vibrantly coloured Keys=St. Peter No clerestory n the nave, only in the apses Octagonal crossing tower Squinch- transitional arch used on the interior of octagons Groin vaults prior to the transept channels on the north side More ornamentation= more important area of the church Corinthian capitals were painted The addition of buttresses allows for the loading of the faults so that the barrel vaults wont collapse and there wont be any lateral expansion Toulouse Christ in Majesty was a relief sculpture done by Bernard Gildum Could have been recessed into the ambulatory, however it also could have been placed on top of the altar reredos- decorum above a church altar Surrounded by the evangelists Double line fold technique adds volume to the point of the appearance of a pot belly on christ Detail of the high altar is signed by the sculptor Recycled marble from Roman works on the tympanum Become more realistic, using variety in pose to make more interesting composition Historiated capitals, including the enunciation of the Virgin Drapery suggesting the form suggests inspiration form late antiquity, as well as the bubbleheads with extremely tight curls Massive hands make the scenes easier to read with exaggerated hand gestures Most common in Ottoman illuminated manuscripts Saint Pierre Pilgrimage inspired church 1st 1.4 of the 12th century Single story elevation- reduced Transverse arch barrel vaults Top lighting windows- not a clerestory Colour was added during a 19th century restoration Apse features imitation marble columns as well as more elaborate decorum Foliage capitals are in the nave and aisles, while the main apse features historiated capitals The enunciations Extremely symmetrical The adoration of the Magi Signed sculpture Weigh
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit