Class Notes (1,000,085)
CA (576,499)
York (42,833)
ARTH (68)
ARTH 2620 (8)
Lecture 2

ARTH 2620 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Los Caprichos, Paul Gauguin, Enlightenment In Spain

5 Pages
Fall 2018

Department
Art History
Course Code
ARTH 2620
Professor
Brian Grosskurth
Lecture

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 5 pages of the document.
Classicism and Romanticism
Self-Portraiture
Los Caprichos
He looks disdainful
looking sideways at the audience- possibly looking in the mirror while doing the piece
Disdainful at the evil of the world
part of a series of etchings that show what happens when chaos takes over the world
He has a critical attitude towards what hes depicting
The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters
Goya bent over the desk plagued by his demons- not showing his face
cowering in fear from his demons
the sleep of reason produces monsters
surrealist depiction of his nightmares
depiction of his dreams
He was perpetrator of the Spanish Enlightenment and extremely logical
This is what happens when reason loses its hold on the world
The Scream Edvard Munch (1893)
Inspired by a sound that made it seem as though both everything and nothing was
experienced at the same time- Munch saw this at twilight
He was exploring this extreme state not in a critical point of view like Goya, but rather hes not
placing value on his experience of irrationality- a confessional painting
Van Gogh Self Portrait With Bandaged Ear (1889)
Van Gogh lived with Gaugin
Gaugin may have cut his ear off as they were constantly fighting
BUT Gaugin said that Van Gogh was following him with an open razor and then he cut off the
lower half of his ear and sent it to a prostitute in a local brothel
Result of a nervous breakdown, experience of extremity represented through self portraiture
He looks resilient, and is backed by soldiers in a painting in the background
Disassociated- his red hair is missing, hes covering himself up with bulky coat- his eyes are
vacant and his skin is sallow
He looks damaged both physically and mentally
Strokes have much more restraint and less movement than his earlier work
Can be juxtaposed with Munch as there is more restraint and his emotions are trapped within
himself and he is trapped inside- unlike munch who is letting everything out in the freedom of
the outdoors- Munch also applies more movement to his paint strokes that amplify his
freedom
Portraiture
The Emperor Napoleon in His Study at the Tuileries- Jacques Louis David
(1812)
Less idealistic
Royal-style Portrait
Early morning study
balding with a dad-bod
The Head of Napoleon Surrounded by a Laurel Wreath in a Sunburst
(before 1835)
Associates him with the sun king
angelic

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Classicism and Romanticism Self-Portraiture Los Caprichos He looks disdainful looking sideways at the audience- possibly looking in the mirror while doing the piece Disdainful at the evil of the world part of a series of etchings that show what happens when chaos takes over the world He has a critical attitude towards what hes depicting The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters Goya bent over the desk plagued by his demons- not showing his face cowering in fear from his demons the sleep of reason produces monsters surrealist depiction of his nightmares depiction of his dreams He was perpetrator of the Spanish Enlightenment and extremely logical This is what happens when reason loses its hold on the world The Scream Edvard Munch (1893) Inspired by a sound that made it seem as though both everything and nothing was experienced at the same time- Munch saw this at twilight He was exploring this extreme state not in a critical point of view like Goya, but rather hes not placing value on his experience of irrationality- a confessional painting Van Gogh Self Portrait With Bandaged Ear (1889) Van Gogh lived with Gaugin Gaugin may have cut his ear off as they were constantly fighting BUT Gaugin said that Van Gogh was following him with an open razor and then he cut off the lower half of his ear and sent it to a prostitute in a local brothel Result of a nervous breakdown, experience of extremity represented through self portraiture He looks resilient, and is backed by soldiers in a painting in the background Disassociated- his red hair is missing, hes covering himself up with bulky coat- his eyes are vacant and his skin is sallow He looks damaged both physically and mentally Strokes have much more restraint and less movement than his earlier work Can be juxtaposed with Munch as there i
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit