Class Notes (997,893)
CA (575,348)
York (40,420)
ARTH (65)
ARTH 2620 (7)
Lecture 5

ARTH 2620 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Religious Image, Rum Rebellion, Los Caprichos
Premium

2 Pages
Fall 2018

Department
Art History
Course Code
ARTH 2620
Professor
Brian Grosskurth
Lecture

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
His self portraits emits a feeling of regality and importance
Dressed elegantly
Explored numerous styles, and could have pursued any of them
St. Francis Borgia Exorcising- 1788
Man refuses to repent, and so he cannot be given his last rites
Demons are present to take him to hell
The priest is still attempting to save the man
Crucifix is spurting blood- symbolizes Christs sacrifice for redemption
Goya had strong links with enlightenment figures, and they influenced him to a point where he
did not pursue religious painting
He also rejected romanticism because it was about fantasy- the whole concept went against
rationality and logic
The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters
Goya bent over the desk plagued by his demons- not showing his face
cowering in fear from his demons
the sleep of reason produces monsters
surrealist depiction of his nightmares
depiction of his dreams
He was perpetrator of the Spanish Enlightenment and extremely logical
This is what happens when reason loses its hold on the world
Lunatic Yard
The mad should be hidden
Represents the incarceration of these people
Guards made money by allowing fashionable people to tour the institutions and create a
spectacle of the mentally ill
All faces are covered in shadow because their identities dont matter
They are grotesque- it doesnt matter to humanize them because they arent
Concentration of light is in the upper register to represent reason, and the lack of it in the
lunatics
The non-communication of the light in the upper register and the heavy shadow at the bottom
represents the lack of communication between those of the enlightenment (those of reason) and
those that suffer
Prison Interior and Cannibals Preparing Their Victims
Further represents the lack of reason in marginalized places
Prisoners were sometimes put into oubliettes, which are small cells that can only be accessed
from a trap door in the ceiling
Los Caprichos
The children dont want to be taken by the figure
Says here comes the boogeyman
Children clutch to their mother as her lover comes to visit
He is concealing his identity, and string the children away to be alone with their mother
The lover is of high status (dainty shoe)
The aristocracy is corrupt- using superstition to raise/scare children in false belief and to
conceal their identity
Mock bull fight
Non-ideal bull fighters
They look almost dead
One is an aristocrat, the others are monks
Allegory of the people of Spain against the aristocracy and clergy of Spain
Court Paintings
Royal family- Charles IV

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
His self portraits emits a feeling of regality and importance Dressed elegantly Explored numerous styles, and could have pursued any of them St. Francis Borgia Exorcising- 1788 Man refuses to repent, and so he cannot be given his last rites Demons are present to take him to hell The priest is still attempting to save the man Crucifix is spurting blood- symbolizes Christs sacrifice for redemption Goya had strong links with enlightenment figures, and they influenced him to a point where he did not pursue religious painting He also rejected romanticism because it was about fantasy- the whole concept went against rationality and logic The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters Goya bent over the desk plagued by his demons- not showing his face cowering in fear from his demons the sleep of reason produces monsters surrealist depiction of his nightmares depiction of his dreams He was perpetrator of the Spanish Enlightenment and extremely logical This is what happens when reason loses its hold on the world Lunatic Yard The mad should be hidden Represents the incarceration of these people Guards made money by allowing fashionable people to tour the institutions and create a spectacle of the mentally ill All faces are covered in shadow because their identities dont matter They are grotesque- it doesnt matter to humanize them because they arent Concentration of light is in the upper register to represent reason, and the lack of it in the lunatics The non-communication of the light in the upper register and the heavy shadow at the bottom represents the lack of communication between those of the enlightenment (those of reason) and those that suffer Prison Interior and Cannibals Preparing Their Victims Further represents the lack of reason in marginalized places Prisoners were sometimes put into oubliettes, which are small cells that can only be accessed from a trap door in the ceiling Los Caprichos The children dont want to be taken by the figure Says here comes the boogeyman Children clutch to their mother as her lover comes to visit He is concealing his identity, and string the children away to be alone with their mother The lover is of high status (dainty shoe) The aristocracy is corrupt- using superstition to raise/scare children in false belief and to conceal their identity Mock bull fight Non-ideal bull fighters They look almost dead One is an aristocrat, the others are monks Allegory of the people of Spain against the aristocracy and clergy of Spain Court Paintings Royal family- Charles IV Self-portrait of Goya in the shadows Represents the royals as vacant- idiotic Unflattering Still idealized because he wouldnt have gotten away with it otherwise Still impressive looking- the lighting, as well as the splendour of the closing and the grandeur of the scene His self portrait is in the shadow because he was looking at a mirror Gives the effect that the royal family is being projected in a mirror Not classical idealization of figure/appearance, but nonetheless still idealized in splendour 3rd of May, 1808- 1813 Relative clarity of detail Gory Cannot see the fa
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit