Biology
Course
BIOL 3110
Professor
Peter Cheung
Semester
Fall

Description
Oct 1, 2009 Restriction Mapping -This process of creating a restriction map is based on the idea that there are different recognition sites for the various other types of endonucleases. -Some of the restriction enzymes will leave “sticky” or “staggered” ends that allow for the creation of recombinant DNA molecules (the staggered ends of each piece allows for modified reannealing). -There are three types of restriction enzymes (I, II, III) but only type II is used for mapping. Type I does not create DNA fragments reproducibly; type III can cut reproducibly but has a cognate methylase associated with type I and forms a complex when in the same solution. -Type II is the only useful one in recombinant technology because it cuts reproducibly (restriction enzyme activity requires Mg and cleaves the phosphate bond) and because it does not have a methylase associated with the other types of restrictions enzymes; it is also the only one that creates staggered ends during the cutting process. 5’ Protruding Ends/Tails 4 5’ – G(3’OH) 4 (5’PO )AATC – 3’ 3’ – CTTAA(5’PO ) (3’OH)G – 5’ -the staggered ends are palindromic and allow for the reannealing of the ends, the conditions for reannealing are different from those of digestion. Palindrome Sequences & Mapping DNA Sequences -Differ in length and sequence of recognition sites; the shorter recognition sites (i.e. 4bp vs. 6bp)
More Less

Related notes for BIOL 3110

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit