BIOL 4380 Lecture Notes - Lecture 10: Piriform Cortex, Orbitofrontal Cortex, Bloodhound

37 views2 pages
How do we know that the bub innervates all of these structures? From FMRI studies.
The front section is the orbitofrontal cortex, then the pyriform cortex and then the amygdala.
Smells that are pleasant, light up the orbitofrontal cortex, whereas other intense smells will
activate the pyriform cortex and the amygdala. There are no clear topographic maps of olfactory
information in the CNS.
Odorant perception in mammals:
o Humans have the least ORNs, compared to dogs and even rats.
o The number of ORNs is’t related to the size of the rai. I dogs, the loodhoud has
the greatest number of ORNs. these dogs were bred to sniff!
o On the x axis here, you can see the surface area of the olfactory epithelium which is
proportional to the number of ORNs.
Despite the fact that humans have so few ORNs compared to bloodhounds, we are
capable of smelling things surprisingly well. Humans can track smells over long distances, just
like dogs. They are ee apale of learig ho to trak sets, if they’re traied. After only 5
days of training, the speed with which a human can track a scent, increases by 3-5 fold and the
mean deviation from the track decreases (both dogs and humans, would track using a jagged
trajectory. Why is this type of path used by an animal? An animal uses the concentration of
set as a ue to figure to the diretio. Whe the aial goes aay fro the soure, it’ll go
back to the source.
There are a couple of chemicals which humans are amazingly sensitive to: ozone and D-
lioee. We’re apable of detecting ozone at about 10 molecules in a billion. Why is this so,
evolutionarily? Ozon is extremely poisonous in high concentrations. D-limonene we can detect
tie as uh → itruses.
Chemical indole smells floral and smells putrid at high concentrations. A molecule that is
basically identical to its mirror image: L-carvone (smells like caraway), D-carvone (spearmint).
Depending on whether the smell is pleasant or unpleasant, the orbitocortex lights up for
pleasant smells.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

The front section is the orbitofrontal cortex, then the pyriform cortex and then the amygdala. Smells that are pleasant, light up the orbitofrontal cortex, whereas other intense smells will activate the pyriform cortex and the amygdala. There are no clear topographic maps of olfactory information in the cns. Humans have the least orns, compared to dogs and even rats. The number of orns is(cid:374)"t related to the size of the (cid:271)rai(cid:374). I(cid:374) dogs, the (cid:271)loodhou(cid:374)d has the greatest number of orns. these dogs were bred to sniff! On the x axis here, you can see the surface area of the olfactory epithelium which is proportional to the number of orns. Despite the fact that humans have so few orns compared to bloodhounds, we are capable of smelling things surprisingly well. Humans can track smells over long distances, just like dogs. They are e(cid:448)e(cid:374) (cid:272)apa(cid:271)le of lear(cid:374)i(cid:374)g ho(cid:449) to tra(cid:272)k s(cid:272)e(cid:374)ts, if they"re trai(cid:374)ed.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers