BIOL 4380 Lecture Notes - Lecture 10: Respiratory Epithelium, Cytochrome P450, Microvillus

45 views2 pages
I a oug adult opared to a older oe, there’s a ore atiit goig o i the olfator
system.
Clinical applications box: only one nose: homework.
Structure and function of olfactory epithelium (OE):
o IMPORTANT SCHEMATIC FOR EXAM TO FILL OUT.
o Although the ORNs are interspersed in the epithelial cells, some are closer to the nasal
passage called the supporting cells (sustentacular cells).
o At the asal side of the epithelial laer, there’s a differet ell tpe alled the asal ell
which are distinct from the supporting cells. Among the basal cells, there are also a population
of stem cells, which can regenerate the ORNs. these stem cells will regenerate the ORNs.
o In mammalian nervous system a large number of neurons can be regenerated and can
fid proper ieratio targets. ORN regeeratio → paper topi.
o Boa’s glad, seretes uus hih oers all of the supportig ells ad the ORNs
so that the’re ot opletel eposed to the surroudig air ad the odorats. The etire
structure all the way from the mucus, to the basal cells, is called the nasal mucosa.
o The dendrites that the ORNs produce, dendrites end in the olfactory nubs which contain
olfator ilia the’re ore like iroilli ad ot like real ilia. These ilia protrude
into the mucus, at the cilia the olfactory perception happens.
o The axons here are unmyelinated.
o Boa’s glad purpose: to protet the olfator ilia fro eiroetal ifluees.
And the mucus secreted by the gland, produce lots of IGgs, which protect against
parasites. The supporting cells, express a large amount of P450, also found in the liver
which detoxifies the body by breaking down the organic molecules that penetrate the
uosa. Marophages, also oe aroud the uosa. The reaso there there is
because ORNs constantly die and have to be regenerated. These are 3 mechanisms
through which nasal mucosa protects itself against damage (IMPORTANT IN EXAM).
OE and RE (respiratory epithelium) which is there to make the environment moist and
maintain the temperature. There are no ORNs in the RE and the markers that are expressed in
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class