COMN 2111 (32)

Sept 21 - Lecture.docx

4 Pages
Unlock Document

York University
Communication Studies
COMN 2111
Dalton Kehoe

Communication in Everyday Life Lecture – September 21st, 2013 We communicate to reduce uncertainty We are wired for predictability The Perfect Communicator Model  Communication as info transmission o Lies behind all of our talk  “I told you once so you should get it the way I meant it.”  “Now act accordingly”  If not, I’ll say it again the exact same way – possibly louder  I am telling you the right thing, I am using the right words, I am the perfect communicator, it is YOU who is not correct because YOU don’t understand ME  “If you still don’t get what I’m trying to say to you, then you’re the idiot”  If you understand your audience and you say things the right way at the right time, you will only have to say it once and they will get it o Model of high certainty Social Scientific Approach: Communication as Probable Outcomes  In 1949 basic modern model by Shannon and Weaver o Sender – Is the message being sent loud enough o Message – Soft voice? Loud Voice? o Channels o Receiver  SMCR Model  They added noise or interference as a concept o Like talking on a cellphone in an elevator and the signal disappears o The concept is that every time you talk on a phone, it is less probable they will get the message o This is the same concept for face-to-face communication o Interference gets in the way of the message the person is trying to communicate o Reduces Certainty o Communication is about probability. “Someone will get your message if…”  Noise o Anything that distorts or interferes with message reception is noise o Physical – Something that interferes with physical transmission of message (Like a loud truck driving by when you’re trying to tell someone something) o Psychological – “In-the-head” interferences (other thoughts, biases, prejudices) o Semantic – No sharing of meaning (symbol-referents). Doctors speaking to patients. A language the patient clearly doesn’t understand even though they both speak English.  Channels o Auditory – get some of the message through your ears o Visual o Olfactory – smell o Gustatory – taste o Tactile – o We use these 5 channels separately or in combination  Encoding o A sender converts ideas into symbols that comprise a message. o We have to take a picture in our mind and find a way to convert it so people can see it as an effort to connect to them o Makes a prediction about the receiver  Decoding o Assigning meaning in the role of receiver to message symbols generated by the sender o Converting it to something that actually means something to the receiver o Does it look anything like what the sender was seeing when they transmitted that message to you? Communication as Interaction  It should seem obvious that even a telephone conversation requires feedback  Communication is no longer just the action but the action and the reaction: feedback loop  It clarifies elements of encoding-decoding o Skills, attitudes o Values, knowledge o Social systems, culture o These are not noise, but elements of message construction  “Meanings are in people”  Communication as transaction o Communication is more
More Less

Related notes for COMN 2111

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.